rio 3100

nastrodamous

ok i dont know what to do and i hope this is in the right forum thingy but, i have tried everything i can for my rio 3100ok first off its fitting sizes say 3/4 in but they are not and this is on ALL models not just an error from the company its npt instead of pvc but pvc will still work, which is what i was tring you just gotta fit them together awkwardly.
so i figured out how to get them together enough to go onto my skimmer cause its a skimmer pump but no matter where i place the venturi it does not force bubbles into the damn chamber of my berlin XL
here is what ive tried thus far with no bubbles
ive tried getting bubbles from this end with none

ive tried getting bubbles from this set up with no results

ive even tried drilling holes in pvc and pipes putting them into the intake(sucking) and out going (blowing) end with no results
i would almost say this pump is defiying physics cause it seems to me if something under water is sucking and a source of air is forced into it bubbles of some sort would emerge
this is what i would really like to use for the knob and the piping hole but the piping hole is use less no matter how its set up
i mean im up for suggestions but i just dont understand this thing
a site i get my equip from recommended this pump cause the red sea turbo pump was not in
i dont see why they would sell this pump as a skimmer pump if it dosent make bubbles

nastrodamous

to the first question yes i am using airline tubing i tried to use the tubing you see covering the end of the venturi in the second to the last pic as a air valve and a regular size air valve that goes in the little air hole drilled into the venturi in the second to the last pic
nothing works
its like something is preventing air from getting to the wheel
i even tried blowing air in and it spits the air bubbles OUT OF THE WAY THE WAY THAT THE AIR IS BEING SUCKED IN DEFYING NATURAL LAWS OF PHYSICS ALMOST I WOULD THINK
makes no sense guys if any one could get this one id be soooo impressed!!!

natclanwy

The piece (venturi) you are trying to use is designed to be on the output side of the pump it won't work on the suction side and isn't really designed for skimmer duty. It also won't work if there is any back pressure after the venturi if there is it will just force water out of the hole. I have used the Rio 2100 for a skimmer pump but they sell a venturi adaptor that goes on the intake and it seems to work okay used it for a couple of years before I upgraded my skimmer. Don't see one available for the 3100 though.
What type of skimmer is this pump going on?

nastrodamous

its going on a berlin xl 150 to 400 gal skimmer, how do i keep it from getting back pressure in it, cause your right it does squirt out water when its on the out take side, i dont think its possible to stop water from squirting out the nossle when the venturi is on the out pump side
i hate this pump it makes no sense!!!

natclanwy

Pump is okay but I think they sold you the wrong pump. I think it would work if you had the turbo model but the XL does not have a venturi built in so the pump needs to take care of that and Rio 3100 doesn't have an air intake, the venturi the pump shipped with is for injecting air for powerhead use in a freshwater system. You might want to contact red sea for a pump recommendation but it looks like the Rio 2500 with the "rejuvinating venturi kit" would work though or contact TAAM and see if they make a venturi kit for the Rio 3100.

nastrodamous

so does this mean that nothing I can do will suck bubbles into the pump???
Nothing at all thanks for your help and I'm glad I kept my reciept

natclanwy

Originally Posted by nastrodamous
http:///forum/post/2674826
so does this mean that nothing I can do will suck bubbles into the pump???
Nothing at all thanks for your help and I'm glad I kept my reciept
Doesn't appear to be anything you can do, I just saw another site that recommends the RIO 3100 but I can't see how you would inject the air with a venturi. So unless you can retrofit the skimmer with the turbo venturi or purchase a beckette venturi for the pump you out of luck. Might be worth a call to Red sea.

nastrodamous

ok thanks, im gonna try one more thing and if it dont work then im getting my money back man
thanks for all the help!!!