Rio Horror Stories?

I often hear people mention problems with Rios shocking tank inhabitants, etc., but I haven't actually talked to anyone that's had it happen to them. Has anybody here had a Rio cause serious problems in their tanks? I worry, because I have a bunch of Rios.

mithrax

I have been using rios for years, so far haven't had any (knock on drift wood). When my other pumps failed my rios kept going and going and going. How about the others?

i have three rio's and they work well, how often do you clean yours?
[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: dlight692000 ]

broomer5

I too have 3 Rio's.
(1) 2100 and (2) 600
No problems in last 15 months.
I tear mine down and clean them about once every 3 months or so.
Brian

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have rios, but I was resently in the market to get new PHs and was interested in buying rios. After hearing some horror stories, like the pump actually burning up and smoking while in tank, etc., etc., I decided to play it safe and get maxi's.
It seems that many people are totally satisfied, but the rios have given major disaster-type problems to a good many others. With that kind of reputation, I see no reason to risk it when there are many other safe viable choices out there for PH's.

jimi

Well I have had a bad one and will not own another. It melted down in my sump releasing an awful chemical smell. While there are some out there that work well there are far too many melt downs for me. There are plenty of other great powerheads or pumps out there without the meltdowns. Like Beth mentioned the maxis are great if you are looking for a powerhead.