rio hyperflow 8HF with SCWD for return pump in an aquapod 24?

greenreefer

I'm setting up another tank (aquapod 24) and I've always used a maxijet 1200 to replace the stock return pump in the past and then used several maxijet 900s in the display for extra movement. I'm thinking about drilling another return on the opposite side and using a rio hyperflo 8HF with a SCWD and then just 1 maxijet 900 on the back wall behind the rock (bottom center) modded to direct current left, right, and towards the front to keep things from settling behind the rocks.
Power would be 38.5 versus 37 for the all maxijet setup. Flow would be 730 GPH versus something like 700 GPH (not quite sure about GPH from a maxijet 1200 at 12 inches). So very similar on watts and GPH, but I'd get the advantages of no visible powerheads in the display and wave action.
Any thoughts?

spanko

Here are some actual specifications that may help.
Maxi-Jet 1200
•V/Hz: 120V/60Hz
•Wattage: 20W
•Max Flow: 295gph
•Max Pumping Height: 69"
•Dimensions: 3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H
•About $20.00
Rio 6HF
•Wattage: 15W
•Max Flow: 350gph
•Max Pumping Height: 72"
•Dimensions: 3.9" L x 2" W x 2.5" H
•About $30.00
Rio 8HF
•Wattage: 30W
•Max Flow: 550gph
•Max Pumping Height: 78"
•Dimensions: 4.4" X 2.3" X 2.8"
•About $32.00

greenreefer

Yeah I already looked at those, that's where I got my numbers from, plus the specs for the SCWD and what kind flow decrease it will do based on GPH input.
Did you see something wrong with my numbers?
I've never worked with a rio hyperflow or a scwd so I was hoping to get some comments on what folks think about that combination as well as any pros or cons on the hyperflows.

spanko

I have had my 29 biocube up for 2.5 years now and have put two Rio 6hf's in. The first one slowly reduced flow overtime. Lasted about a year. The second one seems to be doing better. Can't comment on the Squid, sorry.

greenreefer

Thanks, do you have both behind the wall or in the diplay?
6HF was my first choice, but output wasn't big enough to work with the SCWD and only 80% efficient at that flow rate.

spanko

Not two at once, only one at a time replacing the stock return pump. First one died replaced it with the second one. I would by another if this one fails, all in all a decent pump for the price. Low wattage = less heat in the tank as an added bonus. I don't think I would ever consider the maxijet when compared with the Rio hyperflows. The only thing about the 8hf is the size, you can fit it in the back chamber of your tank?

greenreefer

I don't have the pump in hand yet, but I cut a block of styrofoam to that size and I can get it in there.

spanko

Well there ya go on that note. To me the big concern, not knowing what lighting you will have, would be the additional heat from that pump. 30W is gonna generate some heat in a 24 gallon tank, figure about 18 gallons after rock and sand and coral displacement.
So with the MJ1200 as the return and the Rio 8HF on the Squid you are already at 50 watts, I think you are gonna end up with some heat issues and need to run fans or a chiller. Greenville is not what I would call a cooler place in the summer

greenreefer

8HF would be the return and connect to the scwd, so no 1200 would be used. With 1 900 in the tank I should be 38.5 watts, which shouldn't be any different then the 1200 + 2 900s I run in my other aquapods. I am using a 150w sunpod btw

greenreefer

What else besides the 6HF do you use for flow in your tank? Are you happy with the flow? I could use a 6HF and increase the output from 5/8 to 3/4 with a fitting to supply the SCWD. At that GPH the SCWD would be 80% efficient, probably similar to sticking a hydor flo on the end of the return.

spanko

29 gallon biocube with the Rio 6hf for return. A K3 and a K1 in the tank. Will be taking these out when the Vortech MP10's come out.