Rio Pump Users???????

fbihunter

Just wanted to see how many people out there use RIO pumps or powerheads and have had any luck with them.
I have gone thru 6 in 9 months.
Never can get any response from RIO-TAAM on their products.

fbihunter

Unfortunately im stuck with the Rio on my skimmer as well. I almost have considered forking out more money to replace the whole skimmer just to rid myself of the Rio.
Crappy product!!!!!

tangman99

I still use my RIO 2500 to do water changes. I replaced it as my return pump after if failed to restart. I now have a MAG7 as the return pump and it has never failed to restart. I still have to bang the damn RIO against the side of the bucket to get to start sometime.
Tangman

jja

What is all the controversy over the rio? I have had a rio 2500 for 18 months in my wet/dry and have had no problems other than the noise. This is my first s/w tank however and that is what the lfs carried. I did however buy a rio powerhead that was a piece of shi**. It was used maybe 3 times for a quart. tank and died. Any info would be great.

barracuda

very different oppinions on Rio pumps. One of my return pumps is rio2500. Works good for me, very quite one. I think Rio pumps is hit or miss, but mostly miss:eek:

T

thomas712

Not had the problem with the Rio2500 either, who knows someday.
Thomas

reefersx2

Taking care of other peoples tank and also mine I have suffered several shocks from faulty Rios I now refuse to put my hand in a tank with rios unless they are unplugged.

fbihunter

Seems to me taht the general consensus is they are not very good. (for lack of better term)
Both of mine are the 800's on excalibur skimmers. I always have to turn the venturri plate or smack the crap out of them to get mine to come back on.
Im still waiting on a email response or a response to my fax, but I dont think it is coming.
We did do the maxijet conversion on one of these and unfortunately the rio (when it worked) did better.:confused:

tangman99

Originally posted by jja
What is all the controversy over the rio? I have had a rio 2500 for 18 months in my wet/dry and have had no problems other than the noise.

That was exactly what I asked when I read all the bad comments about them when my RIO 2500 was new and worked great. When my power went off and the thing did not restart, I started wondering what if I had not been home when this happened....
I ordered a Mag7 the next day. Just my .02

fbihunter

lilbuddy,
The two I have are the smaller excaliburs.
The larger skimmers do come with the 1700's.
I think im going to buy another set of skimmers. Its a shame no other manufacturer makes a similar pump w/venturi.
tangman99,
what type of skimmer are you useing?

P

pirate_bob

I havent had good experiences with the rio 2500... i've had it in my new sump for about 3 weeks and every other day i have to nail it with my hammer to jump start it again... so yesterday i ordered me a mag 9.5 for 62 bucks from a store here in ohio.... just put it in today and i noticed a huge difference...
if people would like to know what site.. email me and i will be happy to tell you.. they also have the mag 12 i believe for 84... its a big sale this week...
mbyrne2@buckeye-express.com

fbihunter

lilbuddy,
Thanks. I will research that one. Who knows, maybe I will find a replacement after all.
This will be my new quest.
:)

osolow

I have the Rio 3100 on my 125 and hate it.
my 2 802's push more water.
wish I got a mag (I will soon).
osolow