RIP Darrell Russell (NHRA Top Fuel Driver)

robchuck

While watching drag racing this evening, I witnessed a horrific crash involving Darrell Russell. No information on his condition was given during the telecast, but I just saw a stomach-dropping headline scroll across the bottom of ESPN.
My prayers go out to the family of Darrell Russell, Joe Amato, and all of Darrell' friends.
Top Fuel driver killed in crash
at end of run at Gateway
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer
MADISON, Ill. - National Hot Rod Association drag racer Darrell Russell died Sunday night from injuries suffered in a violent crash during the Sears Craftsman Nationals at Gateway International Raceway.
Russell, a 35-year-old native of Hockley, Texas, had just lost to Scott Kalitta in the second round of eliminations when his Top Fuel dragster crashed while running about 300 mph at the end of the quarter-mile strip at Gateway International Raceway.
The crash occurred around 6:30 p.m. Central time. Just less than two hours later Graham Light, NHRA senior vice president of racing operations, announced to the media that Russell had died at St. Louis University Hospital.
"Unfortunately, Darrell has succumbed to his injuries," Light said. "He was one of our most popular drivers. All I can say is that the NHRA extends its condolences to his family, to the Joe Amato Racing team and to the racing community."
Russell is the first participant to be killed in competition at an NHRA national event since Blaine Johnson died in a crash during a qualifying run at the U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis in 1996.
Sunday's event continued after Light informed the media of Russell's death. No announcement was made to crowd of about 25,000 in the grandstands.
"The event continues," Light said. "I think Darrell would have wanted that. We're not going to announce it to the crowd at this point, I don't think there's anything to be gained by doing that."
Russell, running in the left-hand lane, had lost to Scott Kalitta in the final pairing of the Top Fuel quarterfinal round when his car went out of control just past the finish line.
The car appeared to shred a tire after Russell pulled his parachute to slow his 2,200-pound car. The NHRA electronic timing system showed that his nitromethane-powered car, powered by an engine producing up to 8,000 horsepower, had averaged 322.73 mph in the final 66 feet of his run down the strip.
The car went sideways as it lost control and wound up going back against the concrete wall to the left of the lane in which Russell had been racing. The NHRA's traveling safety crew was rolling toward it immediately and quickly extinguished a small fire that erupted around the remains of the car.
Dan Brickey, director of emergency medical services for the NHRA, said Russell's driver's compartment was intact when the rescue team arrived. The workers cut away the roll cage, immobilized Russell's spine and then took off his helmet and the required head-and-neck restraint device before loading him onto a backboard and taking him to the ambulance.
Brickey said Russell was unconscious but breathing when he was taken to a helicopter waiting on a pad inside the adjacent oval track at the Gateway complex to be flown to the hospital in St. Louis, about 10 miles from the track.
Light said the recovered parts of Russell's dragster were impounded and examined by the NHRA technical staff before being returned to team owner Joe Amato.
Russell had been the fastest qualifier after two days of runs with a best elapsed time of 4.511 seconds. He defeated T.J. Zizzo in Sunday's first round, but ran a 4.611-second pass against Kalitta, who won with an ET of 4.594 seconds at 328.94.
Russell, the 2001 NHRA rookie of the year, won his sixth career national event two weeks ago at Columbus, Ohio. Light said Russell's wife, Julie, was at the track Sunday.
Light defended the NHRA's record on driver safety.
"I think the safety of these cars is second to none," Light said. "In an event like this, we'll run 3,000 runs down this race track." That total includes competition in the professional and various sportsman divisions over the three-day event.
"We do this week in and week out," Light said. "The protection these drivers have is the best that technology can give them."

asbury030

Man that sucks real bad i watch NHRA all the time on ESPN and when i was little i went to every race there was. Man that must really suck for the guys family.

gasguzzler

I didnt know until I read this that he died. How horrible. Ive been watching the NHRA for 13 years, and cant remember any other incidents besides the one other mentioned. I was also at E-Town last weekend and met a lot of drivers. The really good thing was that i finally got to meet my idol and personal hero- John Force. He signed a few autographs for me and I got a few pics. Wow, I didnt realize when I was watching the event he was killed. I knew something was up when they didnt mention his condition at the end of the broadcast.

mkengr45

I really hate to see this stuff happen. I feel for his family and friends. It is something that every racer knows is possible. My dad and I both drive dragsters and my younger brother drives a funny-car, I still get nervous everytime I see my dad or little bro make a blast down the track. For some reason when I drive I dont seem to get nearly as worried about my safety, probably because the cars really seem to launch very violent when you see them from the outside. I watch videos of me driving, and say to myself everytime "holy crap that thing launches like a rocket". I have seen my brother crash at around 200mph, and there is no fear like seeing your own family do this. Poor guys family, I saw it on TV. Some people see a crash on TV and say "ooh wow cool", I say "God I hope their safe". If heaven doesnt already have a dragstrip, it will when Darrell Russell arrives.
Randy

cyslyde

Originally posted by mkengr45
Some people see a crash on TV and say "ooh wow cool", I say "God I hope their safe". If heaven doesnt already have a dragstrip, it will when Darrell Russell arrives.
Randy

amen... I raced VSCDA minicooper and an MG for a few years, before a friend of a friend got in a real bad accident. I was ready to go back when Dale E. Sr. died and my feance put the kiebash to it.
Good Luck with you and your family racing Randy, and May God guide your hands and your car to safety

dragracer

I hear you on that. I have been racing for 6 years now. Division 1, Maple Grove. Anyhow, I've met Russell a few times and let me say there could not have been a nicer guy at the track. Talk about a guy who loved racing.....from Top Fuel to Jr dragsters. He took a genuine interest in hearing about my "career" so far. Just a great guy and a painful loss. Drag racing is risky....an all classes from the class I run, Heavy Eliminator to the pros. I run 10's at 125 and you know as well as I do......ANYTHING can happen even at those speed. But the safety equiptment we have is second to none, and the cars are built for safety as well. My personal feeling is the Russells death was just basically I freak accident. They are saying severe head trauma.......guessing tire got him in the head......its been a week now and nothing has been updated......so leave it up to NHRA to leave all his fans to speculate what really caused his death.
R.I.P Darrell, you will be missed! Root for me from up there man, I need some help!

robchuck

The speculation I heard over the weekend was that a rear-wing strut entered the cockpit and punctured his helmet. The NHRA has already changed rules for top fuel teams, requiring more shielding in the cockpit area.