Risc, wondering about that huge tank

nmoran

Risc, you don't have to awnser this if you don't want, but I was just wondering about that huge tank you are building. I was wondering what you were going to put in it? Is it indoor or outdoor? Do you naturally filter it with rock and sand or do you have to have an extremly large filter? I also wanted to know how you heat it? And can you only see it from the top like a pond? Or if there a viewing glass below? Sorry if you don't want to awnser this, but when I read you were building that, I just got curious. I would love to have something like that one day in my life. But being in college, I think I'll stick with what I can afford.

risc

nmoran:
Actually so far we've only gotten as far as breaking up the ground for the place it's supposed to go in. Ground is mostly frozen here in Minnesota so it makes it difficult to work with. About three weeks ago I signed a deal with a company to build me a new house... or more specifically an "aqua-house". This requires me to move from the current house I live in. I'll still live in Minnesota but I'll be moving from Woodbury to Hugo, MN. It will be my final house because it's extremely specialized. The house was designed by myself, Bayley's and VS Fantasy Construction from New Zeland. It will be a one and a half story home with a half basement. 25% of the home is made with plexiglass walls the rest is brick, mohagany, cedar, and some pine. I am selling all my sharks with the exception of about four or five of my favorite ones. I will be getting rid of all my tanks except a couple small ones for baby sharks. I'll probably keep a 240 and a 540 around. Everything else is getting auctioned or sold. The new house will host over 40,000 gallons of water in the home and have space for sharks, turtles, and some other misc fish. There will be an outside stream that will be freshwater only and a outside water containment area where all the filtration occurs. As for the big pool... we are building a 75x30x22 foot pool that is in ground. It will be about 369,000 gallons and have a 10,000 gallon exchange system.
The indoor tanks will have sand on the bottom as well as structured rock work. The outdoor tank will not have any aquascaping at all or a sand bed. I haven't made a decision on the filters I am going to use yet... but I have some in mind. The tanks are heated by pool heaters and solar radiators. The pool outside will be top down only. We are playing around with integrating it into the basement but it probably won't happen due to weight issues. The inside 3 tanks will be completely free view from all around except for the bar tank with lionfish which will only be front and top view. All my current sharks will reside in the inside of the house. What I put in the outside tank could take me a long while to determine. I also at this time don't have the $102,000 it's going to cost to put salt in all those tanks. So I'm going to start one at a time.
Jim

perchpsk

GOOD LORD !!! now thats a serious set up. I hope you can post some pics of this when you get it all going, i'm sure we'd all love to see it!
good luck man!

risc

There will be. The builders are actually going to be posting the pictures of my house on their company website, that my company is currently making for them, (GOD I LOVE CAPITALISM!!%@....) because they want PR for their company... which they will most definately get I'm sure.
Jim