Risks from Converting from CC to Live Sand

sarge

Okay, looks like I am going to convert from CC to Live Sand, what risks are there? should I leave the very bottom layer of CC? or get out as much as I can? Or since I only have about 1" of CC just put the Live Sand on top of it.

if you only have 1 inch and you are going with a dsb (4 inchs) then i would just leave it in there. that way you will not take that chance of messing up what you already have under the cc. i would be afraid that the tank will recycle after you stir the bottom up.
now if you have more cc then i would take out most of it but leave 1/2 inch there that way the sand will not just fall under the cc.
mike

fshhub

is this an established tnak, or one that is cycling or just done cycling with NO fishes or inverts init?
This answer would greatly affect my advice that I would offer. Even LS can create a mini cycle when added, if not added slowly, and if the tank is stocked, then I woudl do so very slowly. If the tank has no livestock, then I woudl say do it all now.

jjboods

Are you going to add Live Sand or something like Southdown? I would/did change mine to Southdown and bagged the CC for 3-4 weeks. No spike, no casualties.

evilss

I HOPE THERE IS NO PROBLEMS CAUSE IM GOING TO BO DOING IT TONIGHT. I'LL LET YOU KNOW THE OUT COME.

sarge

Well since I only have about 1" to 1"1/2 of CC I think I will just add Southdown and some Live Sand on top of it. I might take out some at the front of tank but the back will almost be imposible. I might have to wait till after Xmas to do this however. Thanks for all the feedback! :)

jjboods

The CC will probably work its way to the top of the sand. I would take it out now...save the trouble later.