Ritteri anemone?

viet-tin

Im thinking of getting a ritteri anemone and need to know as much as i can before i purchase it. I wont be getting it anytime soon maybe within a few months or so my tank is only 5 months right now. I have 2x250w mh 14,000k bulbs for my lighting. As for flow i have a tunze stream 6080, 2 seio820s and a mag12 for my return pump. How well do these anemones do in captivity? I have a pair(soon to be pair i hope) of ocellaris clowns and want them to host in this anemone. Can anyone help give me info on this anemone?

T

thomas712

You have picked a very difficult species, one I have never tried. From my understanding its needs are rather difficult for some to obtain and they don't fair very well in most systems.
Starting with the lighting, these guys love light just as much as clams do. They have been known to park right under a 400 watt MH bulb. So if you get one I would make sure that it is right under one of your 250's.
They also like a terrific amount of water flow just grazing the tops of their tenticals, I'd stick a couple of powerheads pointing just above it.
Thats about all I've heard of that is common when trying to keep this particular species.
Thomas

viet-tin

Thanks for the info. Would you know any other easier anemones that would host my ocellaris clowns? Ritteris are kinda expensive and i guess much to delicate for me.

viet-tin

Ive read that ocellaris will host in carpets. Is this true? If so what are requirements for them and are they a good choice for my size tank?

T

thomas712

Bubble tips would be a good choice, my ocellaris clowns love my bubble tips.
I have seen percs and ocelaris frolicing in green carpets at my LFS all the time. Though some of those carpets can get pretty large, and then there is the danger of them eating other fish.
Bubble tip would be the safest choice, but I'll bet you could keep a carpet as well if you so chose.
Thomas

viet-tin

I wouldnt wanna take my chances and test my luck. Ill see if I cand find some btas. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated:D