rk00-bamboo info

4husky

Hey, I know you were very interested in the bamboos. Sharky seems to know quite a bit, he's definantly a resource. You can type Chiloscyllium into search.com and pull up information on the bamboos, too. Going by what I've learned from Aquarists at work and online, sharky is pretty accurate with the info given. I've compiled a sheet with basic care- if you right click the page with your mouse, you can print it for reference.
Temp. 74-82 lower temps prolong egg hatching, S.G. 1.021-1.024, high water circulation, sandy substrate, live rock/base rock either piled in caves at one end or at the center, leaving swimming area.
Diet-silversides, squid, shrimp(with shells), scallops, Ocean Nutrition's Shark Formula, Formula one. Feedings can be as often as daily or 2-3 times weekly, equivalent to 1-10% body weight weekly. Eggs can take up to 4 months to hatch, watch for embryo movement inside the egg to be sure it is alive. Hatchlings may take 3 days to 2 weeks before eating, due to remains of yolk sac.
Hatchlings are 4-6", males will grow to be 2-2.5 ft., females 3-3.5 ft. Males' sexual reproductive organs, called claspers, are found behind the pelvic fins on the bottom, and look like fingerlike extensions. You should be able to see these approx 1-2 weeks after hatching if looking hard enough.
You may need to siphon waste and uneaten food often, if no cleaners are there to remove it for you.
As sharky said for tankmates, no triggers, wrasses, tuskfish, or angelfish. Groupers, tangs, lionfish, rabbitfish should be ok, watch for food competition.
VERY IMPORTANT- do NOT treat them with copper, they are very sensitive to it!!!
Sharky, if I forgot anything, PLEASE, add anything you feel I didn't know.
Hope this helps you out, rk00, oh, chiloscyllium is the scientific prefix. White spotted are C. Plagiosum, Brown Banded are C. punctatum. They may also be called cat sharks, carpet sharks, banded sharks. Saltwaterfish.com sells brown banded eggs, and many posts say good things about them... I never used them, but there are many sites out there. Here's another site, www.aquacon.com
go to fish, then sharks/rays. They have both types,look at the scientifics....
Also check your local stores. Good luck, and keep us posted if you decide to go with them!!!
Cat.

[This message has been edited by 4husky (edited 11-19-2000).]

4husky

Also, I've read to attach the egg to a rock, and I've read not to. They have tendrils that "should" help themsleves attach to something, But I wouldn't worry about attaching it yourself. Also, if you get an egg, introduce it to the tank the same as you do any other fish, by slow gradual increases of your water to the bag it came in. Don't add the bag water to your tank when finally adding the egg.
Sharky said his jumps, so make sure to have a secure top. Also, make sure your rock is secure so that it can't fall on the shark.
And, as before, anyone with further info to help, PLEASE, add to mine, I'm definantly not an expert and can be mistaken.
Hope this helps all those who want to know more info, but can't find it...
Cat

4husky

thanks, sharky, but you helped me answer questions. To be honest, the distributor my lfs uses is a good friend of mine. This week he got banded eggs in and I'm able to special order one through the lfs. He is a great guy and I trust him fully on quality, even though I was looking for the white spot, I'm leaning to the banded egg he has because of his trustworthyness. So, since you've actually done the hatching, I still may ask you questions....
Cat
Speaking of which, I posted one under dumb question... but I'll ask here, I read that you have a Horseshoe, is he with your shark, does he do well cleaning up??
[This message has been edited by 4husky (edited 11-20-2000).]

4husky

Just to keep everyone up to date, my egg comes home tomorrow, if all goes well!!! Going to be a brown-banded... I'll sent out birth announcements when it hatches!!!
(heh heh heh heh....)
Cat