RO/DI alternative

reefnut

I think it would work fine for a 12g nano tank... :eek: did I just say that :notsure:... I'm usually big on RO/DI units but for such a small tank it would be fine IMO.
Here's the problem with the unit... it is a DI which means it will produce clean water but the filter will get used up very quickly. In the long run a RO/DI would be cheaper... but it would take a LONG time for that to happen when you’re doing 1-2g water changes per-week and adding maybe a gallon in each week to replace evaporated water. Distilled would be another option for you.

Thanks Reefnut for the reply. That is kinda what I was thinking....Now, what is better DI or distilled? I can get distilled for .52 per gallon at Walmart.
Rick

reefnut

True distilled is better. The only problem is if there is a flaw in the process that allows contaminates into the water. I have heard of PO4s & copper being found in distilled water but I don't know... I used it for a while and it seemed to do ok... just became a pain packing all those jugs around.