RO/DI and Culligan

nightraven

I called the local Culligan distributor today to question him regarding the little kiosk's you find in the grocery stores.
I was looking at the local one last night and it specifically stated that water was R.O. water but said nothing about it being DI.
Is this water ok to use or should I continue paying 11 cents more per gallon for the RO/DI water obtainable at my LFS?
Started my tank with tapwater 2.5 weeks ago and am now switching the water out through evaporation replacement with RO/DI water from LFS. Noticed in my Top-Off last night that when I put the RO/DI water into my tank their seemed to be a haze that formed inside the water for a few (10) seconds or so until the new water dispersed through the tapwater. Is this characteristic of adding RO/DI water to a tap water system?
Thanks,

surfnturf

The haze in the tank is caused by the different densities of the water, freshwater 1.000 saltwater ~1.024. If you look close it looks almost like the distortion of air over hot asphalt. Add the water slowly and allow the water to mix before adding more, I spend about 5 minutes adding 1 gallon of water to prevent shocking the fish, make sure the water is about a degree warmer than the tank too.
Use the water from the LFS.

nightraven

of course. I should have realized that hehehe and yes the hot asphalt look is an exact description. I realize now tho that I was adding the water too fast. I have a penguin 330 Bio-Wheel filter on the back of the tank and that is where I pour my water into instead of adding directly to the tank. The look of this stuff last night was extremely funny...like The enterprise radiating some plasma out of the engine nacelles. It was pretty cool as it flowed out of the filter and through the top of the tank and slowly sank and mixed in.

nightraven

Still looking for an answer regarding the water available from the Kiosk at the grocery Store.
I spoke with the culligan representative and he stated...."RO/DI water would be too pure to use in an aquarium, It would suck the oils right out of the fish". He told me to use either RO or DI water but not water that has been through both processes.

surfnturf

He was incorrect. RO/DI water is not for consumption, but is perfect for saltwater. When you mix in the salt you are adding everything (assumed) that the fish need. RO water is okay for consumption, but it always tastes funny to me, RO/DI tastes terrible and you would never want to drink it.

javatech

I use KENT OSMO-PREP MARINE in my water before i put my salt in and mix it overnight

Specially formulated mixture containing buffering compounds,together with calcium, magnesium, potassium, and minor minerals. Reconstitutes reverse osmosis, distilled or deionized water to provide a base for mixture of seawater mixes for marine aquariums. Particularly useful to assist in establishing proper calcium, magnesium and buffer levels for reef aquariums. Provides heavy calcium and magnesium to assist deficient or poorly designed salt mixes. Contains no phosphates, nitrates, silicates, or organics to pollute the system!