RO/DI - Asking for opinions

broomer5

Planning to purchase an RO/DI unit soon.
Looking to spend between $150.00 to $200.00 bucks. Anyone had good luck with the Kent Marine products ?
I am also looking for suggestions on the GPD necessary for make up water due to evaporation.
55 gallon reef tank - 3/4 GPD evaporation
30 gallon reef tank - 1/2 GPD evaporation
Was considering 10 or 20 GPD RO/DI unit.
Any recommendations would be helpful.
Thanks - Brian

andymi

Brian if you have some time I can give you some feed back on the Ultralife Reef Products RO/DI unit. I just bought(today) a 25gpd model and it cost me $120. I can post back to you with the results although I do not have a phosphate test kit.
Anyone else have experience with the Ultralife RO units? If so please give me your feed back as well.
Thanks...Andy
Drip drip drip..(3hrs later) I now have a 1/2 gallon of water :)

K

kodi

Broomer5 - I have a Kent Marine MAX60 Hi-S system and love it.
As Andymi has experienced, drip-drip, the systems are not speedy. So IMO you should go a size up if you can afford it. A system rated at 20GPD will not produce at that level (maybe 10 GPD if you'r lucky) unless all the conditions are perfect (water temp, pressure, etc.)
You should be able to get a MAX60 Hi-S system for under $250. If that's not an option, invest in a storage container and let it work up a supply in advance.
One other note - Kent Marine has been around for awhile. Make sure what ever system you go with plans to be around so that you can order the filters and membrane when the time comes.

jimi

I have the same model Kent as Kodi. I definately agree you should buy as large a gpd as you could afford. You wont believe how slow 20gpd actually is. You probably lose half to evaporation. ;)

andymi

Yeah I think mine filled up a 20 liter trash can in like 4 hours which is only a few gallons of water. I think that is somewhere around 4-5 if I remember right.
1 liter = .26 gallons. So right now I could probably get about 25gpd from mine, but who really wants to wait 24 hours? I dont lose that much right now so the 5 gallons once a week for a few hours is good for me.
HTH
-Andy

broomer5

After doing some reading - and advise from others on this BB - I am planning to buy the Kent Marine MAX60 Hi-S system.
I've found it online for about $229.00 bucks.
Anyone know of a place I can buy it for a lower price ?
Any help would be great !
Thanks everybody !!!
Brian
email me at: broomer5@aol.com
[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]

I have decided I need to buy the reserve tank to go with the RO unit. If you do the math, a 50 GPD unit only puts out 2 gallons per hour but with a 5 gallon reserve tank you can get your 5 gallons in about 5 minutes, or less.

broomer5

Just a quick note to close out this post.
I ordered and received the Kent Marine MAX60 Hi-S RO/DI system.
After the initial start up procedure and break-in period ... this thing absolutely ROCKS !
Next little project is to make a DIY RO/DI water holding tank - elevated for gravity feed auto top off system.
Thanks for all of your input and advice.
Brian

i dont know about you guys but i know of a place(i wont post the link) but they have pretty good deals
i got my 4 stage 50 gpd for 189 + shipping if you want any info of where to get it e-mail me
nolife1232766691@aol.com