RO/DI Hook Up Questions

1boatnut

Neighbor just picked up a RO/DI unit and we hooked it up yesterday.
The unit came with a auto shut off to place in the storage area to keep it from spilling over.
So the question currently is:
Can /is there a way to tie the auto shutoff to also turn off the water supply once the storage is filled or can it only be done manually?
We noticed that after the DI bucket was filled although it stopped making water,it was still producing waste.So can this be stopped?

scsinet

You are missing a part.
It's called an ASOV (Automatic Shut-Off Valve). It's got 4 connections... It gets plumbed into the incoming water line, and the product water line.
When the float valve closes, it detects the rise in water pressure and cuts off the incoming water as well, to stop waste from being produced.
Take a look at this...

This is the way it should look, with an ASOV installed... it's right in the middle if the diagram. It shows the ASOV plumbed between the membrane and pre-filters, but you can also install it between the entire unit and the incoming water source if you want.
ASOVs are not expensive... about $15. They usually come with complete systems, but google Air Water Ice and you'll find a retailer that sells them individually.

1boatnut

WoW !
Thanks a bunch
We are going to have to re-check what we did because I believe the unit he got was from Air Water & Ice.
Maybe the part is already there ??

scsinet

I bought a typhoon III (or something like that) from them a few months ago, and it came with one, so I'd think it should have come with it.
On mine, it's buried down in the top tray of the unit next to the membrane canister. You can probably call them or email them, maybe they can clarify it for you.