RO/DI Recommendations?

sly

I'm going to be buying an RO/DI unit soon and I am looking for suggestions. I figure that all units are not the same and so what should I be looking for? I do not need much in terms of gallons per day but I do want the best water I can get.

chipmaker

To be up front..99% of them are the same, just the names are different. There are only two or 3 makers of the membranes.......Usually the saying of you get what you pay for is so true, especially in the marine life hobby, but its certainly not the case when it comes to a RODI unit. You can spend big bucks, or about a $100 and there is no difference. If anyone can tell me how their $300 to 400 dollar RODI makes better water than my $100 unit, from the infamous auction site, I sure would like to know. Just do not know how the water can be any better, when test results form those high end units comes out the same on the filters direct unit, I got on the auction site...Check out that auction site and look for a company that goes by filters direct........they have what you need, are great to dealwith and the price certainly is right.

acrylic51

I've used Kents' for almost 7 years and have been fairly pleased with it.....I did however upgrade a few things that I think Kent should have done though.....I upgraded the pressure vessel (houses the membrane). I replaced it with the automatic shut off valve built right into the housing.....Kent offers the ugly hang on deal.....I also think they should offer the flush kit as well, and possibly the by pass kit to bypass the DI cartridge.
If those features are important to you and your looking at best bang for the buck I'd probably look at the AirWaterIce Typhoon III......Bought 1 for the new setup.....

beth

Administrator
Staff member
airwaterice is a good choice and used by many here on these forums.

acrylic51

Curious Chipmaker who are the 3 manufacturers of membranes??? The only and original I know of the best in the business is Dow Filmtech??????? I'd have to disagree with your statement that they are all the same....Check out Spectrapure and see why they test their membranes and can guarantee their rejection rates... What is the size unit you got off of the auction site? And again depending on the size membrane DOES affect the rejection rate of the unit.....So with that said you won't find a membrane that does 100gpd at 98-99 rejection rate which is what your looking to use on your tanks!!!!!!!!

acrylic51

Beth got a question for you!!!!!!! I see AirWaterIce uses roasted coconut shells in their filters on the RO.....Any real advantage with that over the traditional?