RO/DI unit is not working right?

ravennreef

I have a new RO/DI unit and am having some problems with it. Instead of getting the 4-1 waste to product water ratio, it is pretty much the opposite. The unit is only rated at 20gpd but I can fill up a 20 gallon bucket in one hour. It is the Mighty Mite from airwaterice. The water also smells really bad. I have it set up exactly as the instructions say. Anybody have any advice.
thanks, RR

squidd

Wouldn't be the first time instructions were wrong...or misinterpreted...
Generally though...on the actual membrane housing..there are two outlets on one side and one supply inlet on the other side...
On the outlet side (two) the one in the "center" should be the RO outlet and the one off to the side is your waste water..
Is that how you have it set up...?

ravennreef

Thanks for the reply. I did find the problem. The RO unit had nothing in it. They shipped it empty. Kinda of funny but not really considering I have used that water.

acrylic51

Are you sure the flow restrictor is in place? Could possibly be that the membrane isn't seated correctly in the pressure vessel and is being bypassed as well.....Do you have a TDS meter to measure what is going in and coming out of the unit?