Ro/di

tiffster

Okay, my husband wants me to research the cost of buying and maitaining an RO/DI unit instead of buying water and carrying 50-60 lb gas cans up a flight of stairs. (not fun) I have found a really good price on a unit, but I cant find prices on replacement cartridges. It will need as follows:
1. 5 micron Sediment filter (1/ yr)
2. Three individual carbon filters (each 1/yr)
3. TFC-75 membrane ( every 2-3 years)
Does anybody know how much theses things cost? Do you use regular high grade carbon or what? Oh, yeah it is made by Water General Manufacturing. It has six stages and produces 85 gpd. I won't use that much in a month. Thanks for all your help.

jjetjock

Replaced these on line in Dec 2002 and this is what it cost.
DI Cartridge 30.00
Sediment 20.00
Carbon 20.00
20GPD Mem 65.00
All from Ultra Pure in California. I think the membrains cost alot more if you get a larger capacity(GPD) like you did. I have my unit hooked up to a float switch and it has been trouble free for at least four years now. Mine would evaporate about 1.5 gallons per day. I also hooked it up to the refrigorater for clean ice and water. Hope this helps.

bigmac

The units themselfs are all pretty much made the same. Its whats inside that counts. The cheaper units use lower grade cartridges and membranes. These may or maynot be good enough.
1) You'll want 1 micron or less...I change mine every 3-6 months at a cost of 5.00
2) I replace the carbon block about every 6 months at a cost of 15.00
3) The RO memebrane is replaced about every two years at a cost of 100.00
4) DI about every 3-6 months...
Its best to use a TDS meter, this will tell you when you need to replace the cart/ memb.
These are my numbers, yours may vary...If you use good stuff you'll get better water and have less trouble, its just like everything else in life.

jag3365

Don't mena to hijack your thread, but since we're on the subject I was looking at the same RO/DI unit you saw, probably on ----. And I wanted to ask people if there was any brands to stay away from for these units? Or any problems people have had? I don't want to get a piece of junk, but I don't need 100 GPD or some super unit that makes sparking clear water from the hot springs of Iceland or anything.