ro/di

calvindo

hi,
is an ro/di unit necessary for reef setup? i'm sure it does some help, but is it absolutely needed?
Tap water users: Do you have any problem using tap in your reef tank?
thanks!
Calvin

If you're going for a reef, it's best to use at least r/o water. I've used both that and tap water, and I can tell you, the fish respond better for sure, and algae grows much more to my liking. I now use r/o d/i bottled water from the grocery store, getting four five-gallon bottles at a time.
What is your water quality like where you live? Mine here is world-class, and still.

reefnut

Tap water users: Do you have any problem using tap in your reef tank?
When asking this question make sure you find out how long the tank has been set up and what the tank includes & looks like.
I have noticed some threads lately on tap users that a month or so ago insisted that there system was fine using tap and now they are seeing problems.
absolutely needed
nothing is absolutely needed but it is absolutely recommended.

dreeves

At the bare minimum a deionization unit...
If you are using tap water..what does your tank look like? Are you happy with it? It is a swamp looking thing? Does the algea continuously kick your butt?
If you are happy with your tank with using the tap water...then continue to do so...chances are good though...your tap water is no different then anyone else's...

escape2thewater

Calivn, I would reccomend you do a search here on this topic, it will give you hours of reading. You will find though that about 99.99999% of people reccomend & use RO/DI. (escpecially for a reef)
Kyle
;)

Not everyone's tap water is the same. I know some areas' water would be terrible, while some would be just okay. There's thousands of reasons why too, ranging from chlorination to nitrates and pollution.
Like I said, our water is spectacular in Vancouver, but I still wouldn't use it in my FOWLR-maybe-soon-to-be-reef. I use the tap water with my FW tanks, but if my water was like in most the States, I'd for sure use RO/DI.
Another benefit... you and your family can drink it! It's delicious! :D

dzones

If someone said to you...
you can live in this apartment that has some minor problems with it, oh and there may even be mold groing in the walls...
OR you can live in a house that has all new everything...
the catch?
the second choice cost about 2 dollars more a month...
which would you choose???
that is essentially what you are asking.
you can live in either one but you would be MUCH better off in the second choice.
same as your fish/ corals etc..
after spending as much as you are going to on a reef setup it would be a real shame to see you scrimp on this part...the most important part of all.
All of this is of course just IMO.
Dave

dzones

yes that is the exact one i have that I was telling you about. great unit for the price i feel.
:)

I wish I could get one of those. Maybe I should... it would save you money in the long-run as apposed to going to the grocery store. (Then I could use RO/DI for my FW tanks, too! My piranha would appreciate the soft water and so would my thirsty guests. :D)
But has anyone ever done that, loaded their shopping cart up with 5-gal bottles at the store's water machine... lugging them home with people looking at you funny?
They think we're really thirsty or what? :rolleyes:

offshore80

Yep! I bought that unit and it works great. The tank stays full and always has 4 gal at the ready. It's made by water general and they have a website you can order filters and parts if needed. Works great for top offs. As I've mentioned before. Remember you have to process 3-4 gallons of water to get 1 gallon of RO.

javatech

If you want to see what tap water does to a tank look for *bob's tank it look's like a swamp tank not a reef tank

stillfrodo

I thought my tap water would be fine until I decided to test it for nitrate and phosphate. Way to high. Silly to replace water high in nitrate with water high in nitrate. IMO So invested in a small RO/DI made by Kent. I store the water in 6 gallon Poland Spring jugs for top offs. The rest is in my aged sea water container waiting for water changes. Nitrates and Phosphates are close to zero now.

Kipass, that's hilarious. :D
I'm headed for Save on Foods right now to refill my jugs. It's late so the water fills faster and there's less silly people. :p