RO Filters

martianarts

I have a little diatom problem right now, and I read that RO/DI filters can help prevent this. What process do these filters use to purify water?
What's the average cost of a quality purification filter? I'm a little tight in the money department so any recommendations would be cool.
Is it cheaper to use distilled water instead of buying an RO/DI filter to purify tap water?
Any advice would be great, even on the diatom crap. It's really discouraging seeing this dirty tank every morning. Shameful how these tanks toy with our emotions. And wallets.

reefnut

What process do these filters use to purify water?
RO- Throughout the first filtration stage, tap or well water passes through a sediment filter where silt, sediment and particles (like sand and clay) are removed. Water is then forced through a high efficiency carbon block filter where micro-pulverized carbon efficiently absorbs chlorine, chloramines, pesticides and other harmful organic chemicals and pollutants. This pre-filtered water, now stripped of membrane-damaging particles and chemicals, flows into the reverse osmosis membrane module where pure water molecules are separated, leaving salts, hardness, bacteria, viruses, pyrogens and other impurities isolated and available for flushing from the system.
DI- Deionization by ion exchange is the removal of all minerals(inorganic) salts dissolved in water.
Basically the DI catches what the RO doesn't leaving you with nothing but H2O.
What's the average cost of a quality purification filter?

You can get a Typhoon III for 214.00 a Typhoon II for 194.00 or a Typhoon for 159.00. The Typhoon III is the better buy IMO.
Is it cheaper to use distilled water instead of buying an RO/DI filter to purify tap water?

Long term IMO having a RO/DI is cheaper than using Distilled water.

birdy

Many LFS sell RO water since your tank is only 26gal you won't be using that much water, I would just get some containers and stock up a bit.

beaslbob

Originally posted by MartianArts
I have a little diatom problem right now, and I read that RO/DI filters can help prevent this. What process do these filters use to purify water?
What's the average cost of a quality purification filter? I'm a little tight in the money department so any recommendations would be cool.
Any advice would be great, even on the diatom crap. It's really discouraging seeing this dirty tank every morning. Shameful how these tanks toy with our emotions. And wallets.

If you do nothing, the brown ugle algae will be replaced by green algae in about 2-3 weeks. To help control algae i suggest you use desirable plant life such as macro algae or marine plants. they will complete the cycle and balance out your tank. The plant life will feed off the nitrates that will/are being produced by the nitrogen cycle from your (future) livestock.
RO/DI water is not needed. better to spend the money on plant life you desire.

reefnut

Don't listen to our local neighborhood nutcase... :rolleyes: Just try to ignore him like the rest of us... ;)

col

Wouldn't diatoms still appear if the tank had been filled with RO/DI water initially?

beaslbob

Originally posted by col
Wouldn't diatoms still appear if the tank had been filled with RO/DI water initially?

yep. plenty of other sources of nutrients other than the water. And as long as they consume those nutrients and die off, who cares?. either way the end is green algae, macros or plants

reefnut

Diatoms blooms are quite common in new tanks but normally it is a short term problem. If you are adding silicates into the system by using tap water they will become a long term problem...

doxboi

So should Tap water be used for water changes or not. Should RO water be used , or distilled water? What is best or at least ok?:rolleyes:

reefnut

Originally posted by DoxBoi
So should Tap water be used for water changes or not. Should RO water be used , or distilled water? What is best or at least ok?:rolleyes:

I didn't know that question was asked????
RO/DI water is the BEST
water to use... water changes, topoff or original setup whatever.

beaslbob

Originally posted by DoxBoi

tap water is just fine. I also don't do routine water changes- just replace the water which has evaporated.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Kipass4130
Godda__it Bob... quit telling people this sh_t!
it is horrible advise.

For the newbies, there is an ongoing debate about pure vrs tap water and the necessity of water changes. And ovbiously people get very emotional about it. I favor the position that tap water contains benifical ions and the bad ions are easily taken care of in a balanced tank. Also that water changes do more damage to the tank than good. I am sure the readers can determin which makes more sense and experiment to determine what works best for them.

beaslbob

Tip I am glad you agree that I keep sucessful tanks.
Newbies: don't worry about this. It's just part of the hobby. What is important is that you enjoy your tanks and do what is successful and works for you.

birdy

Agree with Kip and Reefnut, the only debate going on here about this is bob vs everyone else.
buy RO/DI water, you will never regret it. If you do not get your own unit, be sure to test it to be sure your source is changing the filters properly.

martianarts

Thanks for the info. I'm considering getting a 55 gallon sometime. Because that's bigger than 26, would it be a better investment to buy the RO/DI filter?

birdy

Perhaps, but with an RO/DI unit there is maintenance required, you have to flush it, and replace the filters (the cost adds up fast)
If you have a water source not too far from home I would go that route since you won't use much water. If you would have to go a long way or the water source is crappy then you should get your own unit. There is also a lot of water wasted I think for every gallon of good water there is like three gallons of waste.