RO question

drummerdude124

I really want to get a RO unit for my fish tank to make my fish happy. But there are so many units out there. Right now i am just starting a 55 gal. marine tank and there are no fish or inverts in it yet because it is still in the nitrogen cycle. Do you think I should get one? Which one?

miaheatlvr

It will pay for itself very very shortly, monetary wise and biologically wise.. do a search for a typhoon III.. I love it..

scubaguy

I agree with reefkprZ it is cost effective and a waste of everyones time. Very cheap also go to Logans steak house to get one

fish crazy

i dont want to change the question here or nothing but how do they work do you need any buckets, does water spill things like that.
if this post is a problem just let me know i will take it off

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Fish Crazy
i dont want to change the question here or nothing but how do they work do you need any buckets, does water spill things like that.
if this post is a problem just let me know i will take it off
an honest question is never a problem.
yes you need a receptical to catch the water filtered and a drain to send the waste water to. spilling abnd over filling is always a possibility. as for how they work. google "sub micron filtration definition" that will explain it better than I can.

fish crazy

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
an honest question is never a problem.
yes you need a receptical to catch the water filtered and a drain to send the waste water to. spilling abnd over filling is always a possibility. as for how they work. google "sub micron filtration definition" that will explain it better than I can.
thanks

renogaw

i wonder if the OP is from NYC...maybe they are breeding trolls there and using ro water to wash up after...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by renogaw
i wonder if the OP is from NYC...maybe they are breeding trolls there and using ro water to wash up after...
I checked his IP. Doesn't match any of our other trouble makers.

reefkprz

slow.
24gpd would drive me nuts. 1 gallon per hour at optimal pressure and water temperature. even a 50gpd unit is slow without optimal conditions. I have the 50gpd coralife unit and it only makes about 38 gpd due to water temperature and low city water pressure. I couldnt imagine a 24gpd unit under the same situation.

reefkprz

IMO all the brands do the same job. buy whatever unit you can get that is common because your going to need replacement filters, buying a generic no name can be hard to get replacements for. I would choose the largest GPD amount I could afford, and make sure its a reputable company like coralife, kent, and others like that. I would avoid the homedepot brands because they could change the brand they carry then your screwed for replacement cartriges.
(50+ GPD) 24gpd will work dont if thats all you can afford. get me wrong, its just slow.

renogaw

mine is 24 gpd, i have the corallife RO only unit.
honestly it makes enough for my needs. I fill up a 35 gallon tote and keep it there for when needed.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Fish Crazy
how about Kent Marine Deionizer (200 GPD) and you can stop the filtration whenever you want right
yeah you can shut them off just by turning off the water supply.