RO systems?

fireykat04

:needhelp: Any suggestions on good RO systems? What should I look for when buying one? Is there anything I should stay away from? I know nothing about them and need all the help I can get.

75bownut

kent marine makes a good one ! Ive got there 35 gallon per day ro/di unit and it works very well. the ro is hooked up to my sink and the di water goes into a trash can with a shut off valve on it, that holds about 15 gallons at a time. Makes for easy top offs cause i drilled a hole in the side of the can and put a water cooler spiget (spelling??) in it . also have a small power head in there just to keep things mixing. Hope this helps :notsure:

fireykat04

That's a start. Thank you. Do these run all the time? Can you set them to turn off? Are they hard to hook up? I know nothing about them. So any info on how they work would be a great help too!

75bownut

yes you can hook them up so they wont run when there is no draw for water to be made, although they are not real easy to hook up the people i bought mine from (online) were great to work with and all I had to do is give them a call. I called 4 times
, but they guided me thruogh the process and it wasnt that bad.

bobbyzat

If you search on the internet, you can find some really good deals. I got a 75 GPD with auto shutoff and a pressure tank pretty cheap. In my oppinion, they are fairly easy to hook up. You can buy a faucet diverter, so that there is no permanant changes to your plumbing. Otherwise it will usually require a piercing saddle valve, and a drain valve. I just leave mine hooked up to the faucet, but it only uses water when the bladder tank has room in it. The bladder tank give sufficient pressure for auto top off as well. Works great.

reefnut

The Typhoon III is a very nice unit... but not the cheapest around. I would make sure the unit comes with a DI, DI Bypass, Backflush, pressure gauge, Auto-Shutoff valve and if possible a 75gpd membrane.

fireykat04

What is a DI? Is the 75gpd membrane. like a holding tank? I really have never seen one of these set up and have no clue how they work. I was just reading threads about them on here and a person had just set one up and said it was like dripping the RO water out. Is that normal?

edwar050

I have a 5 stage ro with di. RO I believe makes water pure generally to 90+% range. The DI unit attatches to the RO to make water even more pure. They are good stuff and highly worth it. Makes it so much easier to do water changes.

fireykat04

Thank you druluv, I believe you have helped me out before. :joy: What does DI stand for?
I started my tank back in April and it seems like one disaster after another has happened until the ultimate one; got up one morning last week and all the fish were dead, a big star serpent, and an emerald crab. The only survivors were the anemones, and hermit crabs, and a little star serpent. So I'm sort of starting over again.

I'm checking all levels once a day. Strange thing my PH is 8.0 in the morning at 10:30ish and then when I get home at 10 at night it's always 8.2. Has been like that for 1 week now. Nitrites, Nitrates and ammonia are all at zero. My Alkalinity is low 2.0-2.5. My LFS has been out of calcium test for weeks now. So I can't check that. I also had a major out break of what I think is red slime algae. It looks like velvet and multiplies fast.. looks like a carpet of red velvet. I spent last saturday picking it out and cut the hours back on my lights. I have hair algae on the back glass. I guess that's what it is.