ro unit drain

autotech

i was given a whirlpool ro/di unit as a gift and i plan on mounting it in a remote area not near a drain would a 5 gal. bucket due or do i risk the chance of over flow im not familiar with the operation of ro units do they only drain from the waste water line when in use or is there a constant drip or flow ?

tom-01

you only get waste water when it is running. a 5 gal bucket would not work i beleave that unit produces 5 gal. of waste water for every gal. of product water.

jonthefishguy

if your aquarium is against an outside wall to the home, I would suggest drilling a small hole the size of the hosing from the waste water through a weep hole (if it is a brick home and yours to drill) and let it pour outside and water your lawn. Most ro/di units run at a rate of 4 to 1 so a 5 gallon bucket would not be suffice.

coraljunky

Most ro/di units create waste water 3-5x greater than ro water. Ex. 50g/day unit would produce around 8g of waste in an hour.

rookum

if its your house just run the waste tubing either outside or through your ceiling to where the drain is. but a 5 gal bucket wont be enough thats for sure. good luck