Ro unit in Laundry Room

900dublr

How should I plump my ro unit in the laundry room? I was thinking t-ing it off of the cold water outlet for my washer mabe with a ball valve or something. So I could just turn the valve when I need to start the ro unit. I went to lowes but I couldnt really find anything that would work. Im not to knowledgabe about plumbing either. Any advice? Thanks

chipmaker

Assuming your RODI unit has the typical 1/4" plastic or poly lines, you should be able to find a saddle valve such as used on ice makers. Not knowiing what type of plumbing you already have in your laundry room makes it hard to say what could be used as there are many options yo could utilize. Is your plumbing in place now PVC, Copper, Iron pipe or ?
Is there already a vlave on a stub end you intend to attach to? HOw is the valve attached sweat solder joint or threads or glued on?

scsinet

One idea...
I know Kent RO units come with a garden hose type fitting. You could get a nice, reliable, brass "Y" garden hose valve. The washer's connection is the same thread as a garden hose anyway. The nice advantage is that these Y valves usually can turn each individual outlet on or off, so you can control the RO unit on it's own, just as you planned. I recommend the all brass ones. The ones with plastic valves break in no time with regular use, and the all plastic body valves will likely burst being under pressure 24x7...
Then, the washer's drain pipe will also provide an ideal place to run the discharge water.
If you are lucky enough to have your laundry room on an outside wall, you may want to consider running your discharge water outside. I am on a septic tank. Those units waste a LOT of water, which is basically clean enough for most things, so I ran it outside so I wouldn't be loading my septic tank down with all the extra water. As a final advantage, you can put a 55g trash barrel out there and collect the waste water for watering plants and such outside, just make sure it's closed so you don't breed mosquitos.
If your unit didn't come with such a fitting, I know that Lowe's and Home Depot have pretty extensive plumbing sections. You can easily get an adapter that is a (F) garden hose to (F) 3/4" NPT, then reduce teh 3/4" NPT down to 1/2". Then, all you need is a 1/4" compression fitting to 1/2" NPT and you're all set. You can even stick a 1/2" ball valve in there if you want.

scotts

Did you get your question answered? I have an RO unit that for some reason I never thought of putting in the laundry room. Thanks to your idea I am going to do that. So if you need help I am more than willing to walk you step by step through it if you need it.
Scott

acrylic51

You can go to Lowes in the lawn and garden section where they have the hoses and stuff and get like a "Y" fitting that attaches to the washer supply line, and connect your washer and your RO unit to that fitting.......This is of course if you have the garden/faucet adapter on the RO unit....If not you can get them as well at Lowes or HD in the plumbing section....Can provide a pic if needed.... Using an ice maker install kit will work as well, some people have said they had problems with leakage that way......I would suggest putting a ASOV (automatic shut off valve) on your RO unit as well!!!!

chipmaker

There are all kinds of adpaters you can buy......Self piercing needle valves, hose adapters, faucet adapters, undersink T's, Inline taps..
I can't speak for your RODI unit, but all the ones I have seen come equipped with the auto shutoff valve. It seems like a common standard item on them today. Just beaware though its still a good idea to shut off the unit manually after use or get into the habit of checking it later on to ensure it did indeed shut off after closing the fill tap valve. I have had a brand new unit fail to shut off after use. The unit was in use perhaps 2 months and had been working fine. I just happened to be setting in a very quiet hose that night by myself, and kept hearing what sounded like a trickle of water....Looked at the toilets for a stuck flush valve and the faucets, and finally zeroed in on the rodi discharge line, which was still putting out a nice stream of water, which should have shut off hours ago as I had made some rodi early that morning and here it was about 10pm and it still was running. It was mot hard to fix but IMHO its a good idea to check a bit later to see if the auto shutoff valve indeed shut off.

sleasia

Laundry room faucets are usually hose thread size.. I would just get a hose thread "Y" adapter put it on the faucet, and connect the r/o to one side with a hose adapter.

900dublr

Thanks for the replies guys. im gonna look for a Y for gardening hoses and see what I can do with that.