RO Units

zookeypr12

Ok, please bear with me I am and will be on this learning curve for a while but with your help I will get there

I am looking into getting a RO Unit I have been told by a few on the boards that it is a good investment.
What I am unsure about is.....does this unit go on the tank or is this something that hooks up to your sink???

I have never seen one and I guess I could search the web but I figured I would just get over the embaressment of sounding dumb and ask here :help:
God I really love this hobby and the more I learn the more I like it

thanks 4 the help

ophiura

If you look on the left menu under aquarium supplies, and scroll to the bottom, you can see some RO units as well as RO/DI units. These attach at your source water and there are several ways to do it. I have mine hooked in the garage at the same water faucet as my washer (I have a splitter). Then I have a 30g trash can that the "clean" water goes into. In an RO unit, there is a lot of waste water, just an fyi. I've taken that line and directed it to a flower bed.

f14peter

An RO or RO/DI unit is unrelated directly to the tank, in that it merely purifies your household water and can be anywhere.
Many are set up to be incorporated into a location with a sink in the cabinet underneath . . . they usually come with the attachments/adaptors/fittings to tap into a water source and send the waste-water to a drainpipe.
I have mine mounted in our laundry area with a standard hose Y-fitting on the faucet that supplies water to the washing machine, and stuck the waste-water tube down the drainpipe the washer uses.
They usually consist of a number of canisters (three, four, sometimes five) linked together and attached to a frame of sorts. The canisters are usually around 10 or so inches long and about four-five inches across.
There is an exception to my first statement . . . some folks have rigged RO/DI units to a float-valve in their tank or sump to do automatic top-offs.

newbietina

I looked on a site for magnetic therapy for gifts and it also had attachments you add onto your water line to "magnetize"(sp) your water. Have any of you looked into this. The option seems like another alternative. As an underground spring that we receive our water from and also in an area that farming is done, I know an aquifer can be affected, so I am thinking of getting one of these devices. Opinions??? ***)

ophiura

Originally Posted by NewbieTina
I looked on a site for magnetic therapy for gifts and it also had attachments you add onto your water line to "magnetize"(sp) your water. Have any of you looked into this. The option seems like another alternative. As an underground spring that we receive our water from and also in an area that farming is done, I know an aquifer can be affected, so I am thinking of getting one of these devices. Opinions??? ***)

Um, well I won't get into it. But I would never trust my tank to it.

newbietina

Since you understand what I am talking about, can you give me sites that may address this information?
Thank you again

ophiura

I think it is snake oil and makes no sense from a chemistry perspective. In short, it will do nothing for your water, unless you happen to have iron particles in it, which it may attract. It will do nothing for purifying water. It is in no way a comparable to something like a reverse osmosis unit which actually has a firm chemistry background AND can be easily tested to demonstrate it actually does something.
That is harsh, I know, but people will say all sorts of things to sell stuff to people, especially those who are trying to be healthy. It is almost criminal, IMO.
Now this is just my opinion for sure. But I would never, ever, trust a tank to it. :(

newbietina

Thank you so much for your honesty. I wouldn't ask if that's not what I was after. I'm not one to be easily offended and enjoy the less "politically correct" way of responding.
I come to these boards to hear the truth as I don't wish to harm what I am having to put a lot of money into and look forward to a lovely and admirable tank along with taking care of livestock.
To the future!! :scared: