ro water from grocery store

dallas612

i can get "bottle your own" ro water from the local Kroger and i was wondering if it is any different than the lfs ro water? its cheaper at the grocery and a lot closer so i would rather take my jugs there for ro water fill ups.

oceansidefish

I would not recommend it unless you test the TDS first....They ususally don't change the filters and such and keep those machines as clean as they should be...IMO

lexluethar

I would recommend it. I've used those before and the water quality was better at times than the LFS. Usually they have a maintenance schedule located somewhere, just make sure the filter has been changed on schedule.

maeistero

not recommended. as said above, not all routes are changed on a regular basis. gallon jugs from wallymart have been proven numerous times to test radically different.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by dallas612
i can get "bottle your own" ro water from the local Kroger and i was wondering if it is any different than the lfs ro water? its cheaper at the grocery and a lot closer so i would rather take my jugs there for ro water fill ups.
I use RO water from a local Safeway and it does the job just fine.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
Usually they have a maintenance schedule located somewhere, just make sure the filter has been changed on schedule.
Agreed. There should be a dated sticker or something similar on the machine.

dallas612

it is a really nice machine and i would think that it is well maintained. i will check on the maintnance and will test the water just to see. what test is recomended?

meleerock

If you can, get a TDS meter (total disolved solids). TDS are all the left over particles and impurities in the water after its filtered. The closer to 0 the TDS is, the better.
I myself use RO water from a grocery store and it wonderful. My levels are all in check and I dont have accesive algea growth like you would find with poor water quality. I would make sure it is routinly checked and maintaned as stated by others.

meleerock

Originally Posted by mrextc
what about the drinking water stores???
Drinking water tends to get expensive in big amounts. Most drinking water is also not ran through in RODI filter but is distilled or ran through some other type of filtration that will not be as pure as RODI.
im not making sense... its too late. Most will have an RO unit, it might be a little more costly per gallon though.

snaredrum

I just went through this problem myself. I started getting some Hair Algae and couldn't find the problem. I checked the tank time after time and seen no problems. Then I checked my top off water. RO/DI from local supermarket. PHOSPHATE. Back to the LFS and problem gone. I suggest do your homework. Test and see what they have because it really depends on the store and their attention to their system they had on hand.