Rock other then Live

I have seen some very nice looking baserock, I wonder if volcano rock could be used like some of the cool pieces you see at garden supply places, I have seen some cool pieces of that, my 2 cts

jacrmill

as bad as it sounds it would be unlive rock. it is rock that doesnt have coralline algae or bacteria. you can get some nice pieces of this. ive also heard of some people using lava rock, but i heard taht lava rock was not a good idea.

seapig

I have been using a rock called featherstone from the Home Depot gardening dept. Its a very lightweight pumice type lava rock and EXTREMELY porous.....so much so that it floats. The cool thing about it is that you can dremel are grind it with a grinding stone to make wicked caves and tunnels in it. You must attach it to something heavy to keep it on the bottom.. I drilled holes at the base and zipped tied it to a flt concrete brick. The brick is buried by my snad bed and the rock llooks great. I have live rock as well that should seed it in no time.....later

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sea, keep us posted on that one...I'd be interested to know if the lava rock you have will seed with LR.
Also, be careful with bricks in the fish tank....make sure you know what the brick is made of.

We got some "semi-live" rock from our LFS - bacteria and some algae but none of the other critters because we have copper in our FO tank. It is lava rock. Be sure to cure whatever youget for awhile, ours had some funku smelling stuff on it so it is in isolation for a few weeks.