rock turning rusty...

adee

whats up with that? The first pieces of rock is all turning a rusty color, the rest of it is still fine. this is the part of the cycle right??
how often should we be testing water too??

how long has the tank been set up?
Test your water no more than once a day because things probably wont change that fast during your cycle.

adee

weve been testing the water twice a week. The tank is fairly new still, under two weeks.

trainman

Originally Posted by robertmathern
http:///forum/post/2915193
+1 Sonds like diatoms to me.
is it normal for diatoms to come and go in a tank. my has been up and running for 3 months, they came and went in the first month. now it looks like they may be coming back. is this normal.

fishytim

diatoms for sure...just part of the cycle process...limit your light and they will go away on their own..

anjiro

Be sure and try not to stir up the sand. When you do that it can release tons of nitrites as well as ammonia into the water. I had this happen when I dropped a power head into my sand and the tank almost crashed. just my 2 cents

Does it look like this?

This is what I am going through now. However, my water parameters are almost ready to go
Salt: 1.025
pH: 8.3
Alk: 4.0
Cal: 495
Phos: 0.5

adee

ok, so dont stir up the sand and it will go away after the tank cycles?? Should I not use my day lights at all? Does the night light (moon light) make things worse? Should I shut that off too?
What exactly is it anyway?

pezenfuego

Diatoms (actually makes up plankton-read that in Biology class) will always be present. You can't really get rid of them, but once they eat up all your silicates, they should go away and no longer be visible like they are now. It happens in all tanks, no sweat.