Rocks and sand?

zoboo2

Ok getting ready to start the tank! I have talked to several people on here and they recommend starting with some base rock and Live rock and the live rock will seed the base rock........ ok dumb question where do I buy base rock? Our LFS only sells live rock. Question 2 I have also heard that I can seed dead sand with live sand. Where do I buy the dead sand and is there a particular type/brand that I should use. By the way we are starting a 125 gallon in case you were wondering. THanks in advance for your help!

jumpfrog

Base rock can be purchased on line, do a search for sources. Sometimes LFS will get some in. Yes, you can add mostly dead sand and seed it with live sand.
The difference between dead and live is bacteria. By adding live sources LR or LS you're kick starting the bacteria growth process. Eventually the bacteria will multiply and be everywhere. It just takes some time.
Good Luck.

turningtim

An argonite based sand. You don't want to use a silicate sand. Your LFS should have it in bags. Petsmart also my carry it. The only difference in the sand is one will be dry in the bag (dead sand) and the other will have a small amount of water in the bag (live sand)
You can also buy sand online as well as rock (base, live). I have purchased sand from the great aution site, Araglive I believe. You can also get sand/rock here at SWF.
HTH
Tim

zoboo2

Someone told me you could buy some "base sand" at Lowes and then seed it with live sand. Is this true? If so anyone know the name of this sand?