rocks from Hawaii?

norcal420

Does anyone know if you can take ocean rocks and corals from the waters of hawaii back to the mainland us. Is there laws about it.

zanemoseley

definately illegal, go to ---- and you can buy some dry hawiian base rock for about $1 a lb shipped, I have some and looks great

hirock

Originally posted by zanemoseley
definately illegal, go to ---- and you can buy some dry hawiian base rock for about $1 a lb shipped, I have some and looks great

So, I take it that your dust problem is resolved. Glad to know and thanks for the props.
To the "OP"
It is illegal to take any live/dead coral or rock with life attached from the surrounding waters off Hawaii. You can collect fish and inverts with the proper permits. You can also buy what you want in Hawaii, place it in a cooler, and carry it along with you in the overhead baggage area on the airplane. I've done it without a problem.
HTH :happyfish

michelle13

I brought back some skeletons of coral I found on the beach. They searched my bag at the airport, but let me keep the rocks. The really big Somoan (sp?) talked kinda mean to me...."you f@#$#!@ howlies take all of our rocks, soon we have no f@#$#!@ island". I apologized and carried on. There is also a legend that if you take rocks from Hawaii you will have terrible luck until you return them. Apparently lots of people believe this because I knew a lady who worked at the post office on Oahu and she said they constantly get packages with rocks in them:yes:

S

sebae0

my uncle brought me home a piece of lr from the beach off of hawaii and he asked if it was okay to take and they told him yes.now it wasnt off the reef just buried in the sand in water up to your chest, its about a 10lb piece and it started a nice green coraline algae in my tank over a year ago.

zanemoseley

Originally posted by HIRock
So, I take it that your dust problem is resolved. Glad to know and thanks for the props.
To the "OP"
It is illegal to take any live/dead coral or rock with life attached from the surrounding waters off Hawaii. You can collect fish and inverts with the proper permits. You can also buy what you want in Hawaii, place it in a cooler, and carry it along with you in the overhead baggage area on the airplane. I've done it without a problem.
HTH :happyfish

I never had a dust problem with the rock I had microbubble problems with my overflow and return pump, you rock looks great, I'm gonna attach a pic of a piece of your rock in my tank

new_noob

so when i go to mexico at the end of the month it will be ok for me to bring back rock? and how long can live rock stay out of water? because on the beaches there is always little pieces of corraline rock on the shore, i could stick them in a little ziplock bag and take them back, hopefully, maby it will spread *shrugs shoulders* who know?:notsure:

hirock

I never had a dust problem with the rock I had microbubble problems with my overflow and return pump, you rock looks great, I'm gonna attach a pic of a piece of your rock in my tank

oops, sorry :eek:
>but I thought.... nahhh... =)<
Looks Great!
Thanks for the props & Thanks for the biz

genx

I typed in everything and couldn't find anything on ----. What's the key words your typing in to find the stuff?

freeride7

sand is fine depending on the quantity. I just got back from Hawaii 2 days ago and brought back a 500ml bottle of beach sand, some washed up beach coral, shells, and a couple pieces of rock. I even claimed the sand at customs and they approved it as OK.
TS

jeepboy

I've never been to Hawaii, but do they check for stuff when traveling back to the 48 states? You shouldn't have to go through customs right?

freeride7

Yah, I went through customs in Canada so you may not have to, although all the bags go through series of x-ray inspections I had to put my luggage through 2 x-ray machines in LA.