rodi question?

dima96

i decided now that i am work full time again. that i need to use rodi water in my tank. my question is, are the rodi prep chemical needed or are they snake oil? and does anyone have the typhoon unit and if so what do you think of it? i hope i don't need to buy one but if my lfs doesn't get open soon i think i'm going to have to and then push back the skimmer upgrade.

seaham358

I have a Typhoon III and love it I don't know what you are talking about with the ro/di prep chemicals. I would go with a ro/di unit and skip the skimmer upgrade. You need to have good water quality and you will get it with a typhoon. Buying a ro/di unit is a good investment. I was paying $1 a gallon, add that up and in no time you have paid for a ro/di unit.

tangman99

I also have the Typhoon III and it is a very nice unit. You don't need to do anything to your water to prep it. I'm not sure exactly what you are thinking of, but nothing needs to be done before or after running it through the RO/DI unit.

clarkiiboi

I understand what you mean by the prep chemical. I basically asked the same thing a few months back. I saw in a few magazines that I get for supplies, that there was a "supposed" chem. to add after you filtered the water, and I got confused also. Here's what I finally realized---the salt is going to add all the stuff you need. So with your monthly/weekly/bi weekly water changes, which ever you do, all that you need to replenish is in there. For top offs, its not necessary its just evaporated water, not essentials. IMO, now that I realized it, it's just a $$$ thing to these companies and unnecessary. HTH.

dima96

that's kinda what i thought about the prep chemicals. now i just need to decide which way to get the 10 gal a week i need for water, ro/di water is only 45 cent a gal.

clarkiiboi

See if your LFS will let you fill your own bottles from there supply until you get the RO/DI unit......worth a shot and its free (well from my LFS it is). HTH

dima96

well the lfs is kinda the problem right now. i'm waiting for one to open after a move and the other to get their ro/di setup running. both are tallking the same price and bring your own bottle. if i can't get water from one of them in the next week or two. i'm going to buy a unit for my house. some sort of typhoon. btw the upgrades in this order are ro/di, new skimmer, HAILIDES.