Romaine Lettuce is good

fishtanker

I always thought that Romaine Lettuce had its place in Marine Fish diets and i read an article the other day that reinforces it.
Romaine lettuce is a great source of Lienoic Acid which is an Omega 3 Fatty acid that is needed for proper health of fish and animals. Lienoic Acid is devoid in marine algae (nori), meaning it has none. However, nori is a great source of eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA, which is also necessary for proper health of fish and animals. EPA is not present in land plants. Even though Romaine lettuce is not available to fish in the wild that doesn't mean its "unhealthy" for them. Granted Selcon can supplement both of those Omega 3's, but why not add a little "boost" with some Romaine. I know my tangs love to rip it apart off the clip. You shouldn't cook the lettuce becasue that will remove a lot of the nutrients.
It was an interesting article so i thought i'd summarize it here. It was in this month's FAMA.
I'm not saying that Romaine should be the Staple for your fish's diet, but it is wise to supplement it along with equal parts of marine algae.

bang guy

I'm not swallowing that so easy. I'd be more worried about the "extras" in terrestrial food.
I agree it's probably fine as a snack but I wouldn't use it as part of a staple diet.

nm reef

I have seen support for using land based veggies too...but I've also seen numerous claims that they can contribute to tank pollution...and some folks believe its just not a good all around food source. I prefer to use marine based algaes and suppliment with zoe & zoecon for the "boost". My fish do like a clip of seaweed selects now and then...but thats the only major leafy stuff I use.

sammiefish

extras might include anti-bug stuff... or ... what is it that is placed on lettuce to keep it from turning brown... sulfites...???!!!
I used romaine once. immediately following all my algae was gone (within a couple days). I cant rule out consequence but... hmmmmm.

spinner

I've added romaine lettuce as a part of my yellow tang's diet for over 8 years. Mostly as a treat.
Coupled with a variety of frozen mysis, prime reef, bloodworms and enriched brine, I believe romaine to be a nice treat for my tang.
In fact I've tried nori and have had little luck getting my tang to eat.
Spinner

michael7979

I believe it is the same for fish as it is for us humans, the more varitey of foods you eat the healthier you/your diet is. I have feed romaine lettuce before along with spinanch leaves and have had tangs and angels both love it. It of course must be rinsed off very well and removed from the tank 3-4 hours after you have put it in ( in my opinion). This is a sometimes thing and not an everyday thing, just like I wouldn't eat pizza everyday. (though I won't mind
)

C

caryn_ia

I think if I were to go that route, I would use organically grown lettuce. I'm not sure what the regulations are world-wide, but here they are pretty strict. Just my $0.02

dakota

I agree with kip and Bang guy. Lettuce should be considered sort of like ice cream. A treat and nothing more. I wouldn't feed my children ice cream everyday. Although, they would love it.:D