Rookie Mistake

egill

I bought my first corals yesterday. I bought 2 frags of Kenya tree and a "combo rock" with I believe are zoa??? I know I shouldn't have bought something I didn't know what it is but the guy at the LFS has been really helpful and told me that would due great under my lighting (Current Extreme 8x54w). So can anyone ID what I purchase???
Pictures are kinda crappy, havent mastered that part yet either.
Combo rock that I got for $30

Kenya ($10 bucks each rock and 1 has 3 and the other has 2)

Full Tank with the Actinic blue lights

Almost a Full tank shot with all lights on

C

cmaxwell39

Those are zoas on the combo rock. You should have plenty of light for those. In fact I have the same light over my 75 and have grown quite a few sps up high in the tank and even have a squamaso clam on the sandbed. With proper placement you should be able to keep almost anything with that light.
Keep in mind, however, that lighting is only one part in the equation of successfully keeping corals. Good STABLE water conditions and good water flow are also important. All of the corals that you have gotten there are very good starter corals and are fairly forgiving. Congratulations and enjoy them.

snakeblitz33

pretty cool, great start! Just remember to research your purchases before buying next time. I think you will be fine. Just remember to keep up with water changes and monitor water parameters.

egill

Yeah I made a impulse buy but I did have some reassurance from the lfs that I'd be ok. I will do more research before I go back plus I know what they have there now and I can research it online first. Thanks for the info!!

alix2.0

yes, zoas and kenya. the zoa rock might have been a little overpriced, but if you like them then who cares? i once bought a really really almost dead sun coral for $15, which everyone said it wasnt worth, and now its absolutely gorgeous! zoas grow fast, too.
my only concern is that blue hippo in your tank. in your profile, it says that your tank is a 46 gallon. at some point in time, you are going to have to move that fish to a bigger tank. they like a lot of swimming room!

egill

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2942855
yes, zoas and kenya. the zoa rock might have been a little overpriced, but if you like them then who cares? i once bought a really really almost dead sun coral for $15, which everyone said it wasnt worth, and now its absolutely gorgeous! zoas grow fast, too.
my only concern is that blue hippo in your tank. in your profile, it says that your tank is a 46 gallon. at some point in time, you are going to have to move that fish to a bigger tank. they like a lot of swimming room!

Haven't updated the profile. I have a 75g right now. I know still a little small for him but within a year I'm allowed to go to the 125 I've been dreaming of.