Royal Gramma, Blue reef Chromis

conch

I just got an Order in today, and place the fish in my tank all is fine except the new royal gramma and the blue Chromis are going at it hard, and I can't get either of them out of the tanks and into the net :eek: Am I going to lose one of these fish, and if so which one will win if they are around the same size?

oyam1

grama should be in the rocks ASAP.
do you have lots of rock in the tank?
they should cool off soon.
did you get only 1 chromis?
they like to be in schools, and are much less teritorial.
good luck.

conch

:) Thanks, yes I only have 1 the gramma did go right in to rocks i have ~ 70 lbs

I don't know if the html will work, but the links will for a picture of the tank
thanks for the tip on the Chromis, this is a blue cromis right?

fishfreek

That looks like a blue devil damsal to me. That would explain why hes pounding on the royal gramma. You should net him or make a trap. I'd get him out of there ASAP before he kills the RG. :scared:

shawnhardy

it did look like a blue devil damsel to me also. does he have a black dot behind his dorsal fin? i don't think blue chromis have that but damsels do.

fishfreek

My green/blue chromis is more teal colored. Do a search on the net for chromis, you will get a better idea on what you have.

conch

No black dot on tail or behind Fin, he does have a light black line through his eyes however, other then that his body id only Blue. Gramma will not come out of hiding and I can't net the problem fish. I am worried that the Gramma will starve now. Any suggestions on how to Catch this crafty little trouble maker? Now I tink I know why my Tangs Died...
:mad:

shawnhardy

that is not a blue reef chromis. see how he has fins that extend toward teh tail above and below his body? chromis do not have that. what you have is some type of damsel. i am not sure which kind but i am sure of it. chromis do not have those fins and their body is really skinny before their tail fin.

oyam1

hey largo who sold you that fish as a chromis?
id have them give you a new tang.
that fish is an A-hole, get it out, or just go with aggressive set-up.
dont feed for 24hrs.
get a glass jar with a bit of food in it.
put in aquarium, and cap-off with net or lid after fish goes in to eat.
is Ziggys restaurant still open?
loved it in 70's-80's.