royal gramma questions!

treybom

ok well i just got a royal gramma and i was wondering if they are social fish? will he swim freely through out the tank ? and stuff like that>?
thanks

zanoshanox

I've had a few, for some reason I really cant seem to keep them near as well as other fish...But mine have seemes more on the shy side.

alyssia

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
I've had a few, for some reason I really cant seem to keep them near as well as other fish...But mine have seemes more on the shy side.

I'm on my second one. They seem to be pretty prone to ich IMO.

Mine was shy but he is out and about all the time. :joy: He was pretty sickly looking when I first got him home but a year later he is in the best of health.

lolly1

I've had my RG for probably 6-7 months now, and he's always out and about. The only time he hides is when he tucks himself in at night. Cool little fish.
Lisa :happyfish

scsinet

Mine is in and out. Some days he sort of hangs at mid-level at just keeps an eye on things, and other days he stays in the LR. He always stays on his "side" of the tank. You're supposed to have plenty of LR with them, so they are probably more on the shy side by nature.
Mine certainly does make an appearance during feeding time. That shrimp hits the water and he's all over it.

27mtaylor

Mine usually stays on the bottom half of the tank and does not hide a lot. He swims through the rock work a lot, though I wouldn't call him a "free swimmer". I've had mine for over 2 years and he is doing really good. He also put on some size since I first got him.

treybom

thanks for the replies everyone!!! he is starting to become a lil more adventurous in his second day!!! he i such a beautiful fish!!!

mrdc

Mine stayed in one section of the tank and loved to stay behind the rocks. It developed ich and I swore he was dead but he came back (I credit the cleaner shrimp because he was all over him). After he felt better, he began free swimming for the first time all over the tank. One night, I couldn't find him so I assumed he started going back behind the rocks again. I couldn't find him the next day so I looked behind the tank and he was on the floor

Now anytime a fish isn't seen, i immediatley look behind the tank. So far so good.

S

surfinusa

i heard when they are getting used to the tank they hide for a while but when they get settled in they come out most of the time :happyfish