Royal screw up with sump

geckoxp

Ok so I bought an eshopps sump with mag9.5 pump, asm g2 skimmer and an eshopps pf800 overflow box...my issue is that when starting the system the pump is forcing more water out of the sump then whats being driven in.
I guess I am at wits end here with 2 options...either downgrade the pump to a mag7 OR get a better overflow box? Maybe a dual PF1000? I just have one line going into the sump so maybe having dual lines this would be a better option?

I never thought this through and thought that it would be fine with the setup I purhased...any advice on this on which way to go OR if there is something I can adjust on easily OR if I am just missing the boat on it all?
basically kicking myself here....

geckoxp

Interesting...and i was just at lowes tonight for the 3/4 adapter for the hosing from the pump...I guess tomorrow i will head back and get a valve and see what i can do...i can tell you one thing..i learned the real quick way to set my sump high and low levels

Nothing is ever easy with anything i do it seems...ah well

Thanks a ton!

G

gwhunter

I just went throught the same thing. I bought a cpr 1200 gph overflow and a rio hyperflow 26. The overflow had dual returns to the sump and the sump has dual inlets so I figured there'd be no issue with the supply and was concerned that the return pump would be under sized. Boy was I ever wrong, I didn't have a valve on the return and was unable to keep the levels in the sump or tank. Plus the force of the return water was insane and was blowing fish around. But the I added a 1" pvc ball valve and all was well. Just make sure you go a little bit larger on the valve size and don't use a gate valve. I tried one and it was too restrictive of flow. I think I'm going to add a ball check valve to the return line. I was worried about it restricting flow too much but I've got the ball valve throttled about half way so I'm thinking that if I open the ball valve 100% and add the check it shouldn't be too bad.
Matt

t316

+1 on installing the valve to restrict the flow. Don't downsize the pump, as you may find that you need the full power at some point in the future. I had mine restricted, until I added a chiller. Then I needed the full pump pressure to help push the water thru the chiller and back into the tank.