Rubbermaid Sump question

deton8it

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone here has had any problems with a DIY sump? I read on another web site that most Rubbermade tubs aren't USDA approved and have a tendency to leach Phosphates into your water after time. Has anyone had that issue? The reason I ask is I'm thinking about building a sump or fuge and using the a Rubbermade tub as the tank. I've seen alot of people doing it before but while researching the idea I discovered what I mentioned earlier. Should I worry or press on?
Thank you
John

btldreef

I've done it, but I used a clear rubbermaid container which I think I read is better than the colored versions. I had no issues with the clear plastic model.
I make my water up in a blue rubbermaid weekly and store water in another blue rubbermaid and I've never had a phosphate issue and I do test the water in each of those containers often.

deton8it

Thank you. My original plan was to use a 20 long but after I got it home I found out it doesn't fit in the stand. I took it back and bought a 20 high. That too doesn't fit in the stand. I now have this 16 gal clear Rubbermaid that does fit but I wanted to ask around before I set this up. Again, Thank you.
John

btldreef

My suggestion would be to run it with some water and a powerhead for a few days and test.
Worst case, run a phosban reactor OR a phosphate remover.

acrylic51

I think you'd be ok, but definitely not sure about the longevity of some of the cheaper rubbermaid containers.....Honestly would be my last option though.

deton8it

FYI, I went back to the LFS and picked up the 20 gal Long again. I brought it home and did some minor construction on my stand. My sump/fuge is up and running as of last week.