Rubbermaid sump

bellanavis

Anyone have any experence with making a sump out of a rubbermaid tub? I am looking for any and all info, and thanks for all the help.

sleasia

look for the thread diy wet/dry plans by luke g...scroll through and you will see two diy sumps from sterlite containers.

squidd

With seperate fuge draining in...
Tub within a tub cretaes "baffles" and chambers...

blazehok68

Ive Seen It Done Before, Actually I Use A 31 Gallon Rubbermaid For Large Water Changes. The Only Problem Is That The Sides Bow Out From The Water Pressure. What I Did Was Took A Roll Of Duct Tape And Wrapped It Around The Rubbermaid. Do It In A Bunch Of Directions, Top To Bottom Across It, Then Top To Bottom Length Wise, Then Around The Sides Of It. I Actually Used A Whole Roll Of The Tape, Just To Be Safe.

sleasia

yes, the sides do bow out from the pressure of the water...what I did was notch some 1/2 pvc pipe and use those as braces...just because I had the pvc lying around...works fine. you can also just tie it, which one member did successfully.

bellanavis

Ok, thanks, I was thinking of making a kinda wood brace, if I go that route. Thanks for all the ideas guys.

bellanavis

Wow, that looks really good, I will be sure to show my husband, since he does all the work. Thanks for sharing.

sleasia

cyclops...cool..I was just going to ask whether we can't just use two bulkheads connected between containers and it looks like you did it successuflly.

cyclops

Just make sure when you do connect them you have one slightly higher for water to drain into. The one on the left is where I have to pumps and also is the one I top off.

cyclops

Originally Posted by Piper01
Cyclops- I sent you an email on your sump.
Piper
Did you get my e-mails> I hope it helps you.

sleasia

cyclops is that a coral reef super skimmer? are they good? as good as asm's? looks like they have a smaller footprint. asm's are quite large and a smaller footprint may be better in my next home made sump.

townsdp

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm about to do something similar. I'm using one container for a fuge and the other for a sump. I have a css125 skimmer and was wondering if you have any problems from microbubbles. I get them from both my drain and the css. Not bad, but noticeable. What my main questions are: do you use baffles in the containers, how do you do it, and I did not see anything on ur containers keeping them from deforming.