Rubbermaid sumps

fish fry

Hey guys,
I'm looking to make a sump for a 100 gallon tank. I have the plans I want to follow but I'm not sure how to go about building it.
I figure a rubbermaid container would be the cheapest method to build one, are they durable, salt water safe? I had one a couple years ago that started to peel up and flake. I was afraid it was going to leak so I tossed it out. I'm not sure if that was due to the salt eating away at the rubber?
Any suggestions on how to secure baffles? Aquarium sealant?
I could probably just use a large fish tank, but I was looking to try to save a little $$$
Thanks,
Fish Fry
Oh and I tried a search but I could only find sump layouts, nothing on "easily" making them.

junkf15

I was thinking of doing the same thing, anyone have experience with them? I think NM Reef did it, but don't know for sure. Would some kind of liner help?

dburr

I know someone who made a sump from a 100 gal tupperware tub. It had some thick walls so it wouldn't bow out on the sides.
I don't think baffles would work though. It's oval in shape. Most are either odd shapes or to thin on the walls and will bow out when you fill them with water.
They are easy to fit with bulkheads for external motors.
good luck, I hope you can use so of my rambling.

wally

I don't know about sumps but I know several people who use them to house filters for their ponds. Its the same principle as a sump with water in and out and a pump so I think you should be fine. If you are worried about the walls not being strong enough just get two and put one inside of the other. They are so cheap that you can easily do that.
BTW a rubbermaid tub filled with landscaping lava rock makes a GREAT biofilter for outdoor ponds :)

fish fry

Hey,
The double container idea is good. I figure either way I will place my sump in a large rubbermaid container, just in case that guy murphy shows up.
Tom