Rubys Mantis Shrimp Tank

Alright well I did it.. I talked the hubby into another tank.. Woo hooo
so now we have 3 tanks... Found a tank listed on ea.. for really cheap. With everything pumps, lights, stand, and ect... It is a 28 gal AR-620 tank. Someone removed the lid and replaced the lights with a jalli a27.. So the ending bid was 58.00 dollars. So it is all set up and going.. Soon we will be adding a mantis shrimp *peacock* Yaaaaaa
I have lined the bottom of the tank with acrylic... I will post some photos up tonight..

I have about 10 pounds of live rock in there right now will be adding another 10 pounds today.
Rock is from my 24 gal & 6 gal. Just need a larger rock. So I will be heading out to my lfs tody to get some..

cal559

Very nice choice...I like mantis shrimp...I'm pretty sure you need to add crushed live rock(small pieces of LR) in there for him to make a tunnel/cave so you can molt in there...

Originally Posted by cal559
http:///forum/post/2917601
Very nice choice...I like mantis shrimp...I'm pretty sure you need to add crushed live rock(small pieces of LR) in there for him to make a tunnel/cave so you can molt in there...
yea I have some crushed live rock in there now with some larger rocks and I will be adding some pvc today as well

Will post photos tonight!!! I am off to the store!!! Eeeeeeee *I found a peacock too* I will be getting him soon they are holding it for me!

Not sure what color I want to do the back of the tank with yet. So I might just do some black paper for now. I hate that it is see threw.
Keep thinking black then blue then I keep thinking red... Odd color I know but I really like that idea.
So till I can make up my mind paper will have to do.

jtt

dont get blue. mine is blue, and its so friggin ghetto lookin. i hate it.
as your name suggests, i think that like a dark ruby red would be wicked awesome with a peacock mantis, that would be just so friggin sweet. like a blood, cranberry, wine red.... ohhh yeah.

T

tiff*

I have a green mantis shrimp and my friend has the peacock. There so neat good luck

jse08

I thought the Mantis shrimp requires a DEEP sand bed? I read that they are really supposed to be able to burrow vertically...

yea I added more sand today *was waiting on my paycheck to clear the bank* I have about 4 1/2 in of sand now or more. I forgot to get some paper so I will do that tomr I hope or maybe wed cause I have that day off. I will be adding him most likely wed. I am so jazzed!!
I also re did the rock I will take some photos between now and wed.

Originally Posted by JTT
http:///forum/post/2918336
dont get blue. mine is blue, and its so friggin ghetto lookin. i hate it.
as your name suggests, i think that like a dark ruby red would be wicked awesome with a peacock mantis, that would be just so friggin sweet. like a blood, cranberry, wine red.... ohhh yeah.
yea either a dark red or black is what I am going to do just not sure yet i will have it up wed night tho