Sad Day

jtroutine

Today my Bala shark died! Yes that is fw, but I love my fw fishies too. Anyway I do water changes to the 29g tank which consist of 2 angels a gournimi and use to be two bala, now one. How often I change water I base upon what my nitrate levels are. My amm. and trites are always zero, but this time my trates where high so I did like a 50% water change with tap water(I dont use ro water for fw), seemed like hell broke loose. My gournimi acted wierd but came out of it I found 3 dead ghost shrimp that I had been in there for many months and then last night sometime my bala died. Now here is where my question is, is it possible I changed too much water at one time, my temp stayed right within a degree or two, I added dechlorinator. But it seems right after I changed more water at once then usual evrtyhing goes to s*@#!!!! I am in the process well actualy finaly this weekend is going to be when I finally set up my sw tank. I want to make sure that if I did do something wrong with the water change I dont do it with my sw.
Sorry about so much fw topic, but I have developed a trust with a lot of the members of this forum, so that is why posted heere.:)

S

sebae0

when you did the water change did you disturb alot of the substrate, or just take out water? sometime disturbing to much of the substrate can set back the biological filter. i also know for a fact that a this time of the year, in michigan that is, they add alot more chemicals to the city water because of the colder temps.

dreeves

Chlorine and most places higher concentrations of chloramine...maybe run some carbon for awhile. Could also be some unknown contaminates in the tap water as well.