safe to put shimp from friends tank in mine?

floods7

My friend had a disaster occur in his tank when all of his fish died in 2 days except for one peppermint shimp. he gave me all of his rock which i bleached. His tank has been without light, heat, or food for at least one month. can i safely put that shrimp in my tank without worrying if the shrimp brought a disease to my tank?
He also had terrible algae problems, can the shrimp carry that too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods7 http:///t/391656/safe-to-put-shimp-from-friends-tank-in-mine#post_3474729
My friend had a disaster occur in his tank when all of his fish died in 2 days except for one peppermint shimp. he gave me all of his rock which i bleached. His tank has been without light, heat, or food for at least one month. can i safely put that shrimp in my tank without worrying if the shrimp brought a disease to my tank?
I wouldnt chance it, but if you have a holding tank I would put it in there and then wait 30 days and make sure everything is fine before droping the shrimp in.

2quills

I wouldnt chance it, but if you have a holding tank I would put it in there and then wait 30 days and make sure everything is fine before droping the shrimp in.
Just out of curriosity what might be some of the reasons of why youd take such precautionary measures for a shrimp that has been in a fishless system for a month?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by floods7 http:///t/391656/safe-to-put-shimp-from-friends-tank-in-mine#post_3474729
Hi,
I'm going to agree with 2Quills....the shrimp is fine. In fact if the water had a problem the shrimp would have been the first to go because they are very sensitive. If the fish died of ich...it is long gone now.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391656/safe-to-put-shimp-from-friends-tank-in-mine#post_3474880
Just out of curriosity what might be some of the reasons of why youd take such precautionary measures for a shrimp that has been in a fishless system for a month?
Because it takes 6 weeks to end ick life cycle there could be tomite stage ick that will turn into theront stage and be free swimming in the water column. I never want to deal with ick again I would wait as long as it takes and then add a week just not have ick wipe my tank again, especially for just a shrimp.

2quills

So youd be worried that the shrimp could be infected with Ich? Or do you think ****** might somehow be transfered from one system to the next if a parasite somehow hitched a ride on its exo skeleton? The life cycle of the parasite is 6 weeks you say or is it more like 3 weeks if they are unable to breed without a host? Just trying to figure this all out. Thanks.

I would take the extra time because saltwater fish are so sensitive. Also if you have a lot of time and money invested like I do, I would not risk it until I myself am settled. Also anytime I add new fish to a tank I always put them in a holding tank for at least 3 weeks in not longer until they are eating well and are healthy before putting them into my DT. Everyone has there own methods, that's why this hobby is so diverse and deep, you could research for hours if not days on end and still come up with at least three different methods to proper care. Anyways that's my opinion, hope it helps.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentino82602 http:///t/391656/safe-to-put-shimp-from-friends-tank-in-mine#post_3474886
I would take the extra time because saltwater fish are so sensitive. Also if you have a lot of time and money invested like I do, I would not risk it until I myself am settled. Also anytime I add new fish to a tank I always put them in a holding tank for at least 3 weeks in not longer until they are eating well and are healthy before putting them into my DT. Everyone has there own methods, that's why this hobby is so diverse and deep, you could research for hours if not days on end and still come up with at least three different methods to proper care. Anyways that's my opinion, hope it helps.
A shrimp is an invert and immune to the fish diseases. Some people do quarantine all critters including coral. Your right to say that everyone has an opinion. However a shrimp is one of the most sensitive critters in a fish tank, if he is healthy the water quality usually is good. The fish disease doesn't affect them to my knowledge. However if the water is from an ich infected tank than some ich parasite might be introduced...but not if the critter has been is fish free tank for 8 weeks.

2quills

Certainly wouldnt argue with anyone who wants to take those precautions. I just think that this is one of those instances where its more than likely not necissary. If this tank was indeed fishless for over a month then I would consider that as enough quarantine time for a shrimp. As my friend Flower already mentioned, shrimp are not fish....they are inverts and dont harbor fish diseases. But there is a very slim chance that something like ****** can be transfered all be it very slim at this point. Would be nice to know why the guys fish died.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/391656/safe-to-put-shimp-from-friends-tank-in-mine#post_3474885
So youd be worried that the shrimp could be infected with Ich? Or do you think ****** might somehow be transfered from one system to the next if a parasite somehow hitched a ride on its exo skeleton? The life cycle of the parasite is 6 weeks you say or is it more like 3 weeks if they are unable to breed without a host? Just trying to figure this all out. Thanks.
Ick has about 2 to 3 weeks life cycle, every one say leave tank fishliess for 6 to be sure because not all the ick in your tank is on the same schedule. There are two stages in its life that it is free swiming, so it could be in the water and the protomonts stage were it could be stuck to the outer skeleton of the shrimp.

2quills

Someone has been reading stickies. Probably right though. If you dont know whats going on or arent up to speed with some of the tricks of the trade then its probably best to play it safe and exercise good patience.