sail fin and Hippo

bgbdwlf2500

ive got a 120 gallon that has a sailfin in it. ive had the sailfin for awhile now. i finally got a hippo tang that is in the QT right now. is there going to be a problem between the 2? the sailfin got extremely aggressive when i added a foxface when they were in a 55g....i had to take it out and put the foxface in first the add the sailfin back...
worst case scenario catching the sailfin again?

bioneck47

I have a blue hippo and a sailfin together right now with no problems. they've been together for over a year now. At first the sailfin showed some signs of aggression toward the sailfin but after about a week they were best friends and still are. Hope you have the same luck

srfisher17

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2637893
ive got a 120 gallon that has a sailfin in it. ive had the sailfin for awhile now. i finally got a hippo tang that is in the QT right now. is there going to be a problem between the 2? the sailfin got extremely aggressive when i added a foxface when they were in a 55g....i had to take it out and put the foxface in first the add the sailfin back...
worst case scenario catching the sailfin again?

I wouldn't expect more than the normal little territorial squabble that should resolve itself. There seem to be a lot of very tiny hippos on the market now and they seem a little fragile to me; but I assume yours is big enough.

kjr_trig

Agreed with both above, but keep in mind, it may be really ugly for the Hippo for a bit, the Sailfin will likely show him who runs the tank. My Achilles in my previous tank was brutal to new fish for a bit, once they got his message, everything was good.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2638771
Agreed with both above, but keep in mind, it may be really ugly for the Hippo for a bit, the Sailfin will likely show him who runs the tank. My Achilles in my previous tank was brutal to new fish for a bit, once they got his message, everything was good.
very well put

bgbdwlf2500

this is a good size hippo but that being said and from your comments, i'll probably pull the sailfin because the hippo is more sensitive than the sailfin...dont want any unneeded stress unless you think the hippo will make it.... the sailfin, when i put the foxface in there swam around it in very close circles extremely fast...crazy to watch but i know the foxface was freaked out...

bioneck47

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2639468
this is a good size hippo but that being said and from your comments, i'll probably pull the sailfin because the hippo is more sensitive than the sailfin...dont want any unneeded stress unless you think the hippo will make it.... the sailfin, when i put the foxface in there swam around it in very close circles extremely fast...crazy to watch but i know the foxface was freaked out...
I really think that the hippo will be o.k., the first thing the hippo is going to due is find a good hiding spot so just make sure you have plenty of those. After the hippo gets more comfortable, it will begin to come out of hiding and that's when the sailfin may show his signs of aggression, but trust me it won't last too long. The sailfin just wants to show the hippo who's boss and that's o.k., but if you're really worried then you can take out the sailfin which I'm sure you know are a pain in the but to catch.

stanlalee

would have been much better to do the other way around or to put the sailfin in QT for week or so and let the hippo tang establish itself. Generally hippo's should always be the 1rst tang. However your sailfin was to your foxface it will likely be the same all over again. Probably settle down once order is established but its to be expected adding a tang to a tang (except adding tang to a hippo tang. hippo tangs tend to do alot of shadowing but no real aggression. larger older ones is a different story).

kjr_trig

I wouldn't pull the Sailfin, Hippo will be fine....All fish can take being pick on a bit, the SF is still very small, he won't do much damage....All part of establishing a pecking order amongst "aggressive" fish.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2640334
I wouldn't pull the Sailfin, Hippo will be fine....All fish can take being pick on a bit, the SF is still very small, he won't do much damage....All part of establishing a pecking order amongst "aggressive" fish.

i didnt realize just how aggressive until i introduced the foxface...
here is the tank in case you wanted to see the rock work...there will soon be more coral for color