Sailfin Tang

gill again68

Sailfin Tang - can someone tell me if this fish will fade with color due to aggressive behavior or is this strictly a stress related change? I should say that it appears to be an aggressive behavior to me as I see it if it were stress it would stay that color??

gemmy

As adults however the Pacific Sailfin Tang retains its attractive juvenile appearance though becoming less yellow, while the Desjardin's Sailfin Tang will change stripes for spots and lightens in color. That work?

gill again68

Well maybe I could explain better. Its not that it is changing due to age. It changes, fades, from moment to moment. It can be very dark, what I presume is its relaxed coloration and then it can be pale which I assume is a stressed coloration?

levinjac

part of becoming mature it fades its old color than becomes a different color kind of like a shrimp shedding or puberty

btldreef

My sailfin changes colors ALL THE TIME. Mine actually gets darker when the lights first go out, when it's stressed and when it's being aggressive towards other fish. It lightens up in color when the lights first come on in the morning or when it's being beat on by my evil yellow watchmen goby.
The do loose more of the yellow coloring as the become adults, but gain more white and black stripes, I would not necessarily refer to this as "loosing" color, just that they change color from juvenile to adult, just like many angelfish do.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Gill again68
http:///forum/post/3298563
Well with that said then I can consider this normal behavior and not worry. Thanks for all the input.
I would unless you actually see physical aggression taking place or the fish starts acting sickly. They change all the time though.