Sailfin with HLLE

jpc763

A friend just bought a 55g tank off of Craigs that had a 5" Sailfin tang in it. The fish has a pretty bad case of HLLE.
I am considering taking the fish and treating it in my tank as his tank is too small and he appears to be going through a small cycle.
I picked up a Hippo Tang with a mild case of HLLE several months ago from a guy that had it in a 46 and she is now doing quite well.
My question is, will the pitting reverse itself with good conditions and good nutrition?
Thanks in advance. Here are pics my friend emailed me. I have not seen the fish yet.

florida joe

culled from the web
Most of the above possible causes can be easily addressed. Stray voltage induces stress, so adding a grounding probe to the aquarium is a wise thing to do in any case. For poor water quality and environmental issues, follow good regular aquarium maintenance routines. Reduce and eliminate any other stress inducing factors, correctly diagnosis for parasites and always feed fishes foods that any particular species require in their diets.
Using over the counter medications do not seem to do much in treating this disease. However, those that contain antibiotics can help to treat for secondary infections. From all the research we have done, no matter what the actual "cause" may be, it appears that improving water quality and providing supplemental vitamins and adequate nutrition are key elements in "treating" HLLE. Many aquarists have had great success in reversing the effects of this disease by providing the fish with supplemental vitamins, such as A, D, E or B's, as well as iodine. This can be accomplished by feeding them foods soaked in Selcon, Zoe or other liquid vitamins, providing algae eating species with vitamin-rich live plant sources, such as macroalgae, i.e. Caulerpa (refer to the third discussion down) and adequate live rock growth, and even by [feeding a diet of broccoli supplemented with peas and other prepared foods.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There are some pretty deep pits, but I think, given the right circustances, much of it will clear up.

jpc763

Well I got the fish from the guy. I can't believe that someone would have kept this poor fish in a 55g.
The 125g tank he is in now will be too small for this guy if it is not already. Anyway, here are the pics of day I picked him up. The HLLE is bad. Hopefully he will recover.

My plan is to feed the fish with San Francisco Frozen Emerald Entree & Marine Cuisine soaked with Vita Chem (and Zoecon/Selcon when my order arrives) and augment with algae sheets. Once the fish is recovered, I will find a fellow reefer with an 8' tank to take him.
I was not planning on garlic as the fish seem very happy and eating actively.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance, John

meowzer

WOW...Good luck with that guy.....I had the beginnings of HLLE once...just fed good food with vitamins (and garlic) and kept the water good....
Took a while but it recovered....I hope yours does too

windlasher

Originally Posted by jpc763
http:///forum/post/3081975
A friend just bought a 55g tank off of Craigs that had a 5" Sailfin tang in it. The fish has a pretty bad case of HLLE.
I am considering taking the fish and treating it in my tank as his tank is too small and he appears to be going through a small cycle.
I picked up a Hippo Tang with a mild case of HLLE several months ago from a guy that had it in a 46 and she is now doing quite well.
My question is, will the pitting reverse itself with good conditions and good nutrition?
Thanks in advance. Here are pics my friend emailed me. I have not seen the fish yet.
Wow - that thing really had the crap beat out of it. (figuratively speaking) I have never seen a case that bad. vitamins & good clean water would be your first step.

florida joe

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3085350
WOW...Good luck with that guy.....
I had the beginnings of HLLE once...just fed good food with vitamins (and garlic) and
kept the water good....

I had the beginnings of HLLE once..
wow how do you look today

florida joe

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3085350
WOW...Good luck with that guy.....
I had the beginnings of HLLE once...just fed good food with vitamins (and garlic) and
kept the water good....

I had the beginnings of HLLE once..
wow how do you look today

florida joe

Just as a point of info can you post a pic of the fish in relation to your whole tank? Just wondering about its size IMO extreme close-ups tend to exaggerate the overall size of a fish

jpc763

OK, Full Tank Shot - Standard 125 RR so 6' long

1/3 shot in comparison to a Tunze 6000.

Watching him swim back and forth convinces me he needs a bigger tank (he was in a 55 for the past 2 years!!!) but should I try to heal him first or get him into a bigger tank first? I don't know who will take him in his condition (besides me).
John

salt210

beth, what do you think the chances are that this fish will loose vision in at least one eye?
An LFS near me has one that they saved that is blind in one eye due to HLLE.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Unless the fish develops an infection, which could happen with deteriorated flesh and compromised immune system, HLLE would not necessarily effect vision.
Be sure to keep excellent water quality (such as zero nitrates). Feed this fish 3 times a day, and offer algae sheets. Add some quality meaty foods, in addition to the algae.
Zoecon is excellent for HLLE.

jpc763

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3087427
Unless the fish develops an infection, which could happen with deteriorated flesh and compromised immune system, HLLE would not necessarily effect vision.
Be sure to keep excellent water quality (such as zero nitrates). Feed this fish 3 times a day, and offer algae sheets. Add some quality meaty foods, in addition to the algae.
Zoecon is excellent for HLLE.
I am doing daily Algae sheets and was feeding 1x per day. I am using both VitaChem and Zoecon on the food. I am feeding Emerald Entree and Marine Cuisine from SF Bay.
Thanks for the help. John

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Feed at least 2x a day, then. Once is not good enough for most fish, and particularly grazers such as tangs.

saltyjewell

My Large Sailfin Tang ripped his tail fin and has some pitting by his eyes(just tiny) after we had to take him out to re-do the whole tank. The tail healed in just a couple days and his face is looking better.

jpc763

Posting some 2 week updated pictures. He seems to be settling in much better than the first couple of days and looks visibly better.