Salifert Flatworm Exit

helpme74

OK i found out today that i have red color flat worms. anyone ever used Salifert Flatworm Exit to kill them? I don't want to kill anything other then flatworms.

teresaq

I have used it, though I didnt have a whole lot. I did suck out what I could see first, and did a water change after.
Be sure you have plenty of extra water ready in case you need it.
T

helpme74

I used my power head to blow off the flat worms from my rocks. I don't see a lot crawling around on my sand and see about 40 around base of rocks. I got them all with a fish net. I just don't want to kill my fish. I have a 75 gallon reef tank with 30 gallon sump. I have 45 gallon water standing bye for water change.

helpme74

also i was thinking about filling a 5 gallon bucket with saltwater and flatworm medication a dip all my rocks first and then put rocks back in my tank and treat hole tank . What do you think?

fishieness

I used it last night. Worked great. If you want to treat separately in a bucket, use revive. It works great and it a hell of a lot cheaper. But I certainly wouldnt dose it in your system. Haha.
I didn't have tons, but within a few minutes they started falling off the rocks. I sucked up all I could beforehand and as they fell off. Did a water change with the water that I used to siphon them out, and added a ton of carbon. All inverts and sps are perfectly fine. Just make sure to get out as many as you can before they release toxins.

9supratt4

I have flatworms in my tank too. I recently used Flatworm Exit and it did not harm anything at all!! I just followed the directions EXACTLY!! As soon as I put in the recommended dose, within 3 minutes or so I started to see the flatworms dieing!! It was great!! But man.....you don't realize how many you have until you put the Flatworm Exit in and they start crawling out of everywhere!! There had to be hundreds if not thousands in my 180!! As soon as they started dieing I added the 4 pounds of carbon that the instructions told me to add. Everything was fine....including all my corals-SPS, LPS, etc....and all my fish!! Didn't even lose a shrimp!! And I didn't do a water change for about a week after!!
It didn't kill all the flatworms, so I am planning on another dose soon!!
My suggestion is to go and use it.....just have enough aged, salt water ready for a water change in the case you see any of your fish in distress. But I say use it.

T

tizzo

I had to use it in my tank only once. It worked great with no ill effects. Since then I have dipped each and every coral in FE before putting it in my tank. Not one coral has ever even so much as retracted it's polyps.
And it has saved me at least 3 times that I can remember.

cranberry

Not a chance I would use it. I just used more elbow grease and patience when my tank had them. I know that sounds all tree hugger like, but there are people who have lost their tanks over this. A lot of people use it and don't see anything detrimental.... but not everyone. It's just not a risk I'd be willing to take.
And i really REALLY like my fauna and my critters. I GUARANTEE it's killing off some of that. IMO, there's more to a tank than just those things you can see easily.
Mind you, I do keep it in my cupboard because I use it as a coral dip.

helpme74

OK i did it and nothing died but flatworms . I put 84 drops in my tank and with in a hour all the flat worms dead. I started carbon about 20 minutes after i saw the flatworms started to die faster. I used a fish net to get the worms out of the water. It's been two hours so for so good .