salinity HELP!

augie

I just purchased a refractometer.When i tested the water it read 1.029.My hydrometer is reading 1.023.I know the refractometer is suppose to be more accurate,but i don't know if it is adjusted correctly.Ihave a 75 gal.w/ a wet/ dry.

fallnhorse

if everything is fine now. I would retest your refractometer. If you drop your salinity and it's wrong you could kill all your invertebrates. But your tank can tolerate high salinity. Granted it can't be a shock at all once but i've heard of lions fish being in 1.053 ! Just so much water evaporated so gradual that it adjusted to the different salinity. But invertebrate need at least 1.023 to 1.026. But fish can tolerate 1.017( not recommend). Nothing lower.

el bob

my reef tank was at 1.03 for a week w/o me knowing, everything was fine, but the second i found out it was that high, i dropped it to 1.025

augie

I retested the refractor and it seems to be correct. All fish and inverts seem to be ok except for yellow tang always acting crazy.Idon't know if that is normal.

augie

Originally Posted by El Bob
my reef tank was at 1.03 for a week w/o me knowing, everything was fine, but the second i found out it was that high, i dropped it to 1.025
How did you drop it?