Salinity question

clownme

I have a 1 week old 36 gal setup with a Remora protien skimmer, two Maxi-jet 600's. I have added my live sand and have placed an order for my live rock. I am awaiting its arrival early next week. I noticed the my salinity is slowly dropping. Do I need to do anything yet or just wait for my rock and then let the tank cure from there? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :needhelp:

philgmiami

your salinity should get higher with evaperation.you should only have to add r-o water to top it off
and mixed with salt to do your water changes.. try to match the salanity of your tank water when adding new saltwater :yes:

clownme

When I added the water upon initial setup, the hydrometer measures 1.023 and now over a weeks time the level has very slowly gone to a reading of 1.020 to 1.019. I just dont want to kill my live sand. Does the temperature of the tank effect the overall salinity? That may be the answer to my problem. When we filled the tank, my lovely husband put water that was about 85 degrees. We waited until the temperature came down to 80 to add the live sand. Now my tank reads 78.8 degrees. I was also familiarizing myself with all my new test kits the other day and tested all aspects of my system...
PH 8.0 - 8.2
Amm 0.2
Nitrite -
Nitrate 10
Ca 400 mg/l
Phos -
I may just be skiddish but this is a big investment for me and I REALLY don't want to screw this up. So if I ask a stupid question....please... be gentle on the newbie :)
Thanks everybody!

clownme

In response to philgmiami.... In other threads people talk about getting r/o water at Walmart????? Did I read that right? I live in MA so unfortunately I am forced to be a cash cow at the LFS. He's my new best friend now. I asked if they could throw rose petals down when I come in because I am spending so much money!
Seriously though.... any suggestions on r/o water in MA? :rolleyes:

slock

Originally Posted by Clownme
In response to philgmiami.... In other threads people talk about getting r/o water at Walmart????? Did I read that right? I live in MA so unfortunately I am forced to be a cash cow at the LFS. He's my new best friend now. I asked if they could throw rose petals down when I come in because I am spending so much money!
Seriously though.... any suggestions on r/o water in MA? :rolleyes:
where in MA are you?

salty cheese

Have you looked at your local grocery store? In the last few years I have yet to come across one that doesn’t sell RO water.
Are you using a hydrometer to test the water? They are very inaccurate and your tank would be best served if you purchased a refractometer. Also if you are using a hydrometer you are dealing with specific gravity and not salinity and the water temp can affect you readings.

clownme

I am just north of Springfield MA in a town called Easthampton. Pop around 16,000.
So I am already off to a bad start..... Specific gravity versus salinity. Don't they relate to one another? Please explain :)

reefnut

Temp does have an effect on Specific Gravity when you are using a hydrometer. I would topoff with saltwater until you get the SG up to 1.025.
On a side note, I see you test for calcium... you also want to test alkalinity with calcium?? The two effect one an other and a balance needs to be maintained between the two.

clownme

The LFS sold me three kits. A masterkit with 4 tests..Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, and Ph, a Ca test kit and a Phosphate kit. Should I go and purchase the other test kit too?
I must say I have done a lot of checking with local LFS places once I decided to set up a tank, and this place by far is the best. Maybe he forgot that kit... The pile of stuff was really big! The hubby almost had a coronary when he turned over the credit card. $$$$$

slock

Originally Posted by Clownme
I am just north of Springfield MA in a town called Easthampton. Pop around 16,000.
So I am already off to a bad start..... Specific gravity versus salinity. Don't they relate to one another? Please explain :)
If you were close I was going to offer you free water but I'm outside of Worcester.
I'd recommend the salifert test for Alk.

reefnut

Yes you will need a alkalinity test kit if you plan on dosing calcium... because you will need to also dose alkalinity. Do you have any calcium additives?? I would use a two part additive that will supply both.

clownme

I told LFS just to give initially what I would need, but I mostly stuck to all the expensive equipment. He had a 7/4 sale with 20% off all equipment and sand. So I stuck to that, I need to go and pick up my box 'o rocks on Tuesday so I will get the additional additives and test kit then I guess.
So back to the original question.... I just need to chill? and wait for my rocks? and hopefully not damage the LS?

reefnut

I would get the SG up before the rocks get there...
With the tank being so new you will not need any additive for a while... all you should need now is water changes, after the cycle of course.

clownme

I am going to have to do something similiar to a water change then, because the tank is full of water with no evap. I also noticed that my Remora has kicked in. I am actually acumulating tinted water in the collection cup. I hope this is good :thinking:

reefnut

Not to be a pain :) but I wouldn't run the skimmer until the cycle is over. Running the skimmer will slow down the cycle... unless there is something live in the tank you want the LR & LS to handle all the bio load so the necessary bacteria can get built up.

airforceb2

What kind of hydrometer do you have? I wouldn't change the SG till you know you have an accurate reading. Did you season the hydrometer like the directions said to do? It sounds like the arm is just getting seasoned.

clownme

LOL I suppose that would help if I read the directions. Of course the one thing I didn't read. I will clean it as the package recommends and try again.
So Reefnut.... I should nnot be running the skimmer for now? What about the two powerheads?