salinity, salinity salinity

alane67

I have read sooo many different salinity levels people shoot for. I have been keeping my new tank at 1.021 -1.022. Is this too low?
Good news...The star that came (unknowingly) with the new piece of rock is still alive so far and eating
Also, before I put anything in there (except my star) my ph leels have been way too high! There was nothing in there except some rock, and it ran for about 6weeks. I finally added my sand yesterday, hopefully that will work.
I didn't think I would have to reseed it. I had it running beforee with FO, but it did sit empty for a long time, so I guess I should have let it recycle.
I still hope my brittle makes it, he is sooo cute, especially when he eats his chopped up whitening.
Ok so what about salinity.
The sand I bought was wet and said it was bio loaded or something like that and help buffer ph??????
The joys of SWT..I will be so glad to have a fish to look at, but trying to go slow

alane

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by alane67
I have read sooo many different salinity levels people shoot for. I have been keeping my new tank at 1.021 -1.022. Is this too low?
Good news...The star that came (unknowingly) with the new piece of rock is still alive so far and eating
Also, before I put anything in there (except my star) my ph leels have been way too high! There was nothing in there except some rock, and it ran for about 6weeks. I finally added my sand yesterday, hopefully that will work.
I didn't think I would have to reseed it. I had it running beforee with FO, but it did sit empty for a long time, so I guess I should have let it recycle.
I still hope my brittle makes it, he is sooo cute, especially when he eats his chopped up whitening.
Ok so what about salinity.
The sand I bought was wet and said it was bio loaded or something like that and help buffer ph??????
The joys of SWT..I will be so glad to have a fish to look at, but trying to go slow

alane
This is really low, especially if you choose to have inverts and corals, desired S.G. for FISH ONLY should be about 1.022-1.024 with S.G. for INVERTS and CORALS at 1.025-1.026

turningtim

Your inverts will prefer 1.025 or 1.026. Fish will be fine in 1.022 and up.What are the rest of your water parameters? What are you using to measure your salinity?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Your inverts will prefer 1.025 or 1.026. Fish will be fine in 1.022 and up.What are the rest of your water parameters? What are you using to measure your salinity?
I agree but this person has some introduced Inverts and some hitchhiker inverts that maybe they might want to maintain.

alane67

Since you all stated I need to raise it for inverts. I already have some hitch hiker inverts, and salinity is too low for inverts. Should i slowly increase with my water changes?
Right now, I have a 75 g, and doing 3 gallon water changes weekly to bi-weekly.
Thanks bunches for the info!
alane

turningtim

You can just add SW at the proper SG when doing top off everyday. This will slowly raise to the correct SG. Also when doing WC's use new water that is correct SG and when the tank is where you want it go back to adding FW for top off. Also you could bump up the WC's to 10% weekly after the tank is cycled.....
You're right MHL, just added abit of info for the fish only possibility...