sally light foot help

sgt__york

wow
stuff came in today
I had no idea the sally light foot was so @#%@% BIG! lol
I was expecting a crab 1/2" or so - the darn thing is like 3" (legs included tho).
MY QUESION... this guy isabout the SAME SIZE as my blue hippo (head to tail) - I love my new hippo MUCH MORE than i will any crab! lol
Is this a problem waiting to happen?? Sally lightfoot and equal sized fish?
ALSO - how big do these things get??? Is this a baby? or an adult?

saltyrich

Sounds like an adult to me. Mine doesn't bother any of my fish. All of my fish are the same size or smaller than he is.

shnookums

my brotherinlaw has a sally light foot about the same size. That crab is too busy eating algae to look at fish. He also has a tiny hippo, but no problems yet. the crab is the oldest in the tank. I think your fish will be ok.:D

wolffvet

You should not have any problems. I have one in my tank with two very small clown fish and he doesn't bother them or my mandarin who is always around the rocks. The sally will spend most of its time munching on algae or trying climb up the glass when you feed the tank. Good luck!!

sgt__york

Yea, he went right to work on algae the second his feet hit the rock. He seemed to be scratching at some purple coraline as well - not sure if he's just searching; getting dye-off or what.
Are Sally's known for eating coraline??

daisy

I have a sally that has grown incredibly over the last two years. My sailfin often tries to get the sally to clean her! They have a very nice relationship, but I think I'll order a cleaner shrimp soon :) The sally is probably the coolest animal in the tank!

sgt__york

JEZZ.. i was worried about the sally eating the blue hippo - as they are about the same size...
Seems the blue hippo tried to offer himself to the crab on a silver plate!!! lol The hippo treated him like a cleaner shrip, forcing himself at the crab's mouth -- even went so far as to lay completely down in front of him on his side. Crab just ignored him, and continued to eat off the rock. LOL
Guess I better go get a cleaner shrimp tomorrow as well tho - make sure the hippo is doing good and taken care of. Loving the cleanup crew - amazing to see them go to work - all business - hit the floor a cleaning.
QUESTION tho - do sally's eat coraline??? He sure keeps pick'n away at the heavy concentrations of purple. Not sure if he's eating the coraline, or just picking at stuff near/on it.

smalltimer

I used to have (key is before I got married), now I have 55 gallon, a 200, with 2 250 20000k calcium reactor and such, had HUGE awesome amounts of coraline algea, and 3 sallys, they are just picking I wouldn't worry about it. My old tank stayed clean and no probs...................:D