Salsa recipe

bulldog123

Ive been making the same recipe for 10 years and am hoping someone would share theirs as I would like to try something new.

dragonzim

I dont really follow recipes when I make stuff, but here is what I put in my red salsa...
Chopped fresh tomatoes
Red onion
Jalpeno peppers
Lime Juice
Cilantro
I also make a great mango salsa... Use mangoes instead of tomatoes and a little Habanero pepper instead of the jalepeno. Leave out the lime juice...

bulldog123

3 cans mexican stewed tomatoes- run it in the blender to prefered size
1.5lbs of tamalito- put in the blender until almost a paste, use papertowel to remove extra liquid
5-7 serrano peppers- finely chopped
2-4 jalapeno peppers- finely chopped
1 onion-finely chopped
1/2 fresh lemon
cilantro-to taste
salt/pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic- extra fine
Come on people, dont we have some betty homemakers out there.
What are ghost chilis

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Bulldog123
http:///forum/post/3113333
3 cans mexican stewed tomatoes- run it in the blender to prefered size
1.5lbs of tamalito- put in the blender until almost a paste, use papertowel to remove extra liquid
5-7 serrano peppers- finely chopped
2-4 jalapeno peppers- finely chopped
1 onion-finely chopped
1/2 fresh lemon
cilantro-to taste
salt/pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic- extra fine
Come on people, dont we have some betty homemakers out there.
What are ghost chilis
I like your recipe. I know of many variations to yours, it just depends whether you like it hot, sweet, tomato-tasting, etc.
As far as ghost chilis? Grown in India, and has the highest 'heat value' of any pepper grown in the world. If you've ever tried a habenero, you know how hot that is. On the Scoville Units scale of hot, habenero rates about 580,000 (compared to 2500-8000 for a jalepeno). A Ghost Chili (aka - bhut jolokia) has a heat rating of over 1 million. The guy from Man vs. Food came to San Antonio to this burger joint that claims to have the hottest known hamburger made. They grill it with ghost chilis and habenero sauce. Only four people have been known to finish one. The cooks wear safety glasses when cooking it to keep the juice from burning their eyes. People who eat the burger are given plastic gloves to wear to keep the sauce from burning their skin.

bulldog123

I stopped putting habeneros in my salsa a few years ago so I think I will pass on the ghost chilis, thanks for the offer. I love the salsa I make now but in the restaurants its more of a paste and Im not sure what they are doing to get that. I dont believe its tomatoe paste that thickening it up. I make salsa all the time and just want to try something new. I have taken recipes out of cook books but they all suck. One book was all salsa and I tried 4-5 recipes before I just trashed the book.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3113360
The guy from Man vs. Food came to San Antonio to this burger joint that claims to have the hottest known hamburger made. They grill it with ghost chilis and habenero sauce. Only four people have been known to finish one. The cooks wear safety glasses when cooking it to keep the juice from burning their eyes. People who eat the burger are given plastic gloves to wear to keep the sauce from burning their skin.
Saw that episode. That just looked painful!

fishtaco

Bulldog I know exactly what you mean about thick salsa's, we are doing a batch of salsa from our garden every couple days and I agree that they are a little soupy, but still taste great. I have got a bunch of tomatillo's ripe on the vine and am going to try a cooked green salsa this week. As far as those super hot chili peppers, I used to grow all kinds, but some where so hot as to be almost useless for cooking or salsa making. Now I use the room for peppers you can actually eat and have one plant of the hot little red Thai peppers that I will dry and crush and use that way.
Fishtaco

florida joe

easy and oh so good
1/2 pound small fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 large garlic clove
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Serrano chile with seeds, or to taste
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons water
Coarsely chop tomatillos, then purée with remaining salsa ingredients and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a blender until smooth.

uneverno

I don't like my salsa to be a sauce. I like pico de gallo style:
3 parts diced tomatoes
2 parts diced white onion
1 part jalapeno
Ground cumin, finely chopped fresh garlic, coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice to taste.
It's better the 2nd day after the flavors have had time to blend.

deejeff442

i saw that man vs. food also .
that was crazy how that guy dont have ulsers i dont know.
see where he ate the 72 oz serloin and sides in 33 minutes?
my friend makes some pretty good salsa
i cant remember the recipie but iwill ask him.
its his moms recipie right from mexico.

nigerbang

No doubt...
Its says on the label that to use caution.. and also that it will strip waxxed floors and take grease off a driveway!!
I have a jar of the hot sauce in the fridge.. Its like 2 drops to 3lbs of meat in chili...
Hot stuff...