Salt accumulation

putt_77

Was just wondering if anyone had some ideas or ways they manage to keep salt from forming on their tank to a minimum. I guess in the dry air here my tank gives up water quickly and I am constantly cleaning salt off the top of the tank. I have tried some things, put none of them are attractive or permanent.

does your tank hood have any open areas in the back by the fliters, tubing, etc.? mine did at first and i went and got one of those plastic strips for the back of the hood and it helped alot but did not solved the problem. i dont know of any other way to stop this from happening and am unsure if we can. i would just seal the hood as best as you possibly can and hope for a reduction with the inevitable salt problem

putt_77

I have one of those plastic strips on the back that I cut in areas to make room for on tank attachments. That is where most of the problems arise from. I was just wondering if anyone has used something creative & safe to seal those areas as well. I have tried to patch the open areas, (mainly with purchased strips of that plastic that I cut to fit and tape)but with exposure to the water, the adhesives do not last long and I do not want to use anything toxic to adhere the pieces, like an epoxy that may erode over time and into the tank. It is not a huge problem, b/c it is expected.

carbo

You could use plastic or plexiglass section with a lip on it to hold it in place and the lip would keep it from sliding. There are safe bonding agents for plexiglass in saltwater. It might be costly to purchase a 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness? But, closing up the tank will reduce the salt a great deal.

fshhub

i have the same thing and same prob, all we do is, when we do our water changes, we take them off and wipe them off, if it is real bad we clean with vinegar, jsut let it dry good first before replaceing
HTH

rapt0r32

This problem I think you are going to be stuck with. Old saying goes you play you pay. Guess it goes with the territory. I do the same as fshhub, wipe them off and go on.